Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Structured Frame 10 to DITA conversion

Oct 18, 2013 Oct 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have almost 3000 pages of sturctured Frame 10 docs that I need to convert to a new approach of using DITA.  Have anyone done this without using IXGen - merely using what Frame 10 has to offer?  IF so - any tricks you can provide?

TOPICS
Structured

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Oct 21, 2013 Oct 21, 2013

IXGen has nothing to do with a FM to DITA conversion. IXGen is an indexing plugin for FrameMaker.

There are a few ways to convert FM documents to DITA ..

- FrameMaker conversion tables

- MIF2Go

- Stilo Migrate (cloud-based tool)

- Consultant or other 3rd party

Here's some info and a presentation I gave for Adobe on the conversion table method ..

http://leximation.com/downloads/adobe-fm2xml-2013

Cheers,

...scott

Scott Prentice

Leximation, Inc.

www.leximation.com

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,
Oct 18, 2013 Oct 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure I'm following the question. What's the connection between IXGen and DITA? Last I knew IXGen didn't work with XML .. is that the issue you're concerned about?

...scott

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Oct 21, 2013 Oct 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To clarify, I found one solution but it requires IXGen and I am not in a position to purchase any additional software.

The issue is - HOW do I convert Framemerk documents to DITA if the docs are Framemaker 10 books and chapters.  Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IXGen has nothing to do with a FM to DITA conversion. IXGen is an indexing plugin for FrameMaker.

There are a few ways to convert FM documents to DITA ..

- FrameMaker conversion tables

- MIF2Go

- Stilo Migrate (cloud-based tool)

- Consultant or other 3rd party

Here's some info and a presentation I gave for Adobe on the conversion table method ..

http://leximation.com/downloads/adobe-fm2xml-2013

Cheers,

...scott

Scott Prentice

Leximation, Inc.

www.leximation.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scott,

I was aware IXGen was an indexing tool for FM and I found a method to use it to convert the files. Unfortunately I don't have the tool at the place I currently work.

ALSO,,I looked at the info you sent.  Are these Framemaker 11 files? I couldn't open them with FM 10

Thanks

Larrye

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Larrye...

Sorry, but I don't believe that there's any way to get IXGen to convert FM files to DITA .. if you read that somewhere, it's wrong. IXGen doesn't even work (well) with structured FM (according to the IXGen FAQ).

Yes .. those sample files are (were) FM11. I just saved them down to FM8 .. good idea.

Download that file again and you should be able to open them in FM10.

Cheers,

...scott

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks  The use of IXGEN was to format markers and it took 20PLUS steps which is why I was so skeptical.

Thanks for the files that I can read.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2020 Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello Larrye-Marie,

Stilo Migrate can easily convert FrameMaker files to DITA xml. 

The conversion process is almost automated with a very little human intervention (need to prepare a high-level rule set to guide the conversion).

You can go to the bottom of the webpage below and click "Free Offer" link for a sample conversion.

https://www.stilo.com/dita-xml-conversion-services/

Below is a short Youtube video about how Migrate converts a FrameMaker file to DITA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNF41RfcyUs&t=167s

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines