• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

SVG buggy

Explorer ,
Feb 13, 2018 Feb 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having issues with svg files exported from illustrator.

When I import the svg file into an anchor frame publish to html the svg graphics turn suddenly freakishly large or very small. In addition, when I add a hotspot to an anchor frame with svg content the hotspot won't work, which I had noted in a earlier thread.

jpegs seems to work fine as does ai files, both in size and hotspot functionality.

It's just the svgs.

Are there any special considerations importing svgs from illustrator or for importing in framemaker?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. I'm having similar issues. In addition, I'm unable to get even hotspots working with HTML output. Are you using structured DITA or manually adding hotspots?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was manually adding hotspots.

Anchor frame with svg inside.

Text frame or rectangle object over the top used as a hotspot.

Managed to get some test jpegs to work so I have verified that it has nothing to do with the hotspot or the link.

In my case appears to be isolated to just the svg files.

Which like I mentioned even if I don't use hotspots the svg file goes wonky and sizes itself crazily upon export. Guessing that the size issue and the hotspot problem are related.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to check that later (travelling right now), but … hotspots and SVG?!? SVGs are vector graphics and hotspots are a concept for raster (pixel) graphics …

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using PNG files and I'm unable to get a hotspot to appear in HTML outputs at all when they are defined using <imagemap> elements in DITA.

As far as SVG and hotspots, it's pretty common for technical illustration programs (in my case Creo Illustrate) to optionally embed hotspot information within the SVG file itself. It would be amazing if FM could actually recognize them. However, anytime I'm using an SVG with embedded hotspot information, FM converts the file to a raster format in the HTML output and then fails to display it.

*EDIT--Here are a couple of links explaining different approaches**

https://www.creativebloq.com/netmag/create-responsive-svg-image-maps-51411831

the new code – Web Developer Reading List: SVG Imagemaps & Interactivity

Interactivity – SVG 1.1 (Second Edition)

Scripting and Interactivity — SVG 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stephan.

I didn't know that.

So in framemaker you can not use a SVG as a background image over the top of which you put text frame or rectangle object hotspots for jumping to different part of the documents? Wasn't turning the underlying graphic itself into a hotspot.

At the end of the day I'm trying to create a troubleshooting chart that when you click on different elements it takes you to the corresponding part of the document.

Like I said, even without the hotspot the sizing has been whacking out on me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the information regarding hotspots in SVGs from Creo. That definitively sounds interesting and is worth looking into! For now, Fm does bot support this, but it’s absolutely something I will fisvuss with the team.

Regarding putting hotspots “over” an SVG: When you have a raster graphic, there is a clear connection between the pixels and the hotspot area. But if the SVG goes into HTML5 as a vector graphic there is no sich connection (as far as I understand right now), as you can zoom the vector graphic losless).

Interesting topic for sure!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. SVG files contain their own embedded viewport definition and therefore embedded hotspots and links can be rendered relative to the SVG itself (instead of pixels) irrespective of level html page zoom level or responsive behaviors. Like the original OP, I've had a lot of issues with SVG in HTML outputs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 14, 2018 Feb 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Framemaker 2017 manual page 383:

"Create hotspots in vector graphics

You can create multiple hotspots in vector graphics, such as a CGM file, imported in a FrameMaker document. The various parts of the CGM graphic can be made different hotspots."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

montana321  wrote

Framemaker 2017 manual page 383:

"Create hotspots in vector graphics

You can create multiple hotspots in vector graphics, such as a CGM file, imported in a FrameMaker document. The various parts of the CGM graphic can be made different hotspots."

It sure would be nice to have an explanation somewhere about how this is supposed to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would seem that at least a recently as 2016, that hotspots included within CGM files were getting stripped out by FM during import. See Re: hotspot graphic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ah.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may be able to offer some background to the CGM hotspots story...

The current CGM import/export filter was created for Adobe by Itedo, the creators of IsoDraw the excellent Technical Illustration package. This was introduced for FM5.1.2 to satisfy the needs of several major Aerospace and Defence companies back in 1996. Itedo was later sold to PTC who will certainly never update the hotspot handling of the filter to meet the needs of one of their rivals.

Knowing that Hotspots in CGM would prove difficult to work with I designed the hotspot interaction interface for the Mekon Eclipse S1000D package back in 2000. That uses the IsoView CGM viewer to allow interaction between hotspots on graphics and xrefs in text. However there was still no way to actually get the hotspot to be active for a PDF (I don't know if that is still true).

Then we roll forward several more years and I'm developing the Adobe S1000D application for FrameMaker 10. I put forward the idea of supporting the hotspots in CGM graphics directly. The general concept was agreed but we would have to wait until FM 11 for its implementation.

What we got was better than nothing, but not what I had requested. Once again there was no simple way to interrogate the CGM for Application Structure data where the hotspots are defined, so we were limited on what could be done.

I hope that's not the end of the story because CGM will remain important for many more years.

Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow! Thanks for the detailed response on the history of CGM in Framemaker. My work is primarily in aerospace as well, so I'm pretty familiar with CGM. Nowadays, however, I find that I'm using SVG more and more. It does seem a bit unstable still in FM, though, as montana321​ indicated in the original post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the explanation.

Was going to check into cgm when I had a chance, but obviously that won't be necessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2018 Feb 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

HotSpots on CGM Currently do work. However, for scalar graphics such as SVG, hotspots are currently not supported. We have logged this bug FRMAKER-4031.

Thanks for letting us know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any clear documentation or tutorials on how to use a CGM file with embedded hotspots that carry through to PDF and HTML5 output?

By the way, the link to your filed BUG does not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like it's an internal JIRA ticket # as I don't see any sign of it in the Tracker (tracker.adobe.com)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Abhishek,

I feel that this answer is misleading as it gives the impression that the hotspots are being extracted from the CGM which is not the case. All that is possible is to manually add the hotspots as overlays on the CGM in FrameMaker. Also is the term Scalar correct here? SVG means Scalable Vector Graphics.

Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2018 Feb 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ian,

I meant for Vector Graphics - Hotspots are not supported yet. And Yes, FrameMaker can not extract hotspots, but we can manually insert hotspot on CGM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2018 Feb 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another key observation I'd like to highlight is that there a a couple of ways to put 'hotpots' into documents.

1. 'Classic' method using markers
  2. 'Hotspot' objects that are comparatively new in FM

Unfortunately, I've spent a lot of time testing these over the past few weeks and believe that these are not supported equally in FM 2017. And both approaches end up lacking from XML-based content. The following appears to be true. If anyone has any clarifications or corrections, I'm happy to hear of them.

• Classic hotspots using markers are not recognized at all in FM HTML published outputs. However, these are recognized when using DITA-OT to produce HTML outputs.
  • Hotspot objects are recognized in FM HTML outputs. However, these are 'not' recognized when using DITA-OT to produce HTML outputs.
  • Both Classic and Hotspot objects generally make it through to PDF outputs from FM. HTML output seems to be the key issue.
  • Classic hotspots are more readily scripted and are the more common basis for processing to and from XML/DITA content. Marker information can be readily included in read/write of XML files and therefore survives round-tripping. Hotspot objects do not survive round-tripping and seem to only be useful if applied directly to binary FM files.
  • The hotspot <imagemap> mechanism built into the DITA language and designed for exactly this functionality appears to be completely unsupported in native FM. There are 3rd party tools like DITA-FMx which support these <imagemap> elements, but rely on Classic hotspots because of the round-tripping support for marker-based, Classic hotspots. Because classic hotspots don't get published in FM HTML outputs, it is not really practical to utilize FM publish features when building HTML output from XML source with functional hotpots.
  • It's not practical to manually add Hotspot objects to every image in a large publication during every build from XML source prior to publishing HTML output.

Again, this is just based on my own testing while struggling to produce suitable customer deliverables, but it seems the lack of strong support for round-tripping hotspots from XML (especially DITA which has dedicated elements for this) using both Classic and Hotspot objects is a pretty big miss in the product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There,

I have sent you a private message. Kindly provide the requested details so that we can connect and look into the issue.

Regards,

Ajit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I would like to share the solution of the below problem-

Having issues with svg files exported from illustrator.

When I import the svg file into an anchor frame publish to html the svg graphics turn suddenly freakishly large or very small.

Resolution-

Disabling the "Responsive" option in the SVG options dialog while exporting from Illustrator would solve the size issue in FM Responsive HTML5 output.

Regards,

Ajit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 22, 2018 Feb 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Disabling responsive in Illustrator still didn't solve the svg sizing issue when importing svgs into framemaker.

Thought this was the fix...but as I'm getting deeper into a project I'm working on I'm still running into issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines