• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Switching from InDesign to FrameMaker 11

New Here ,
Oct 26, 2018 Oct 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a new tech writer coming on board who has experience in InDesign, and needs to come up to speed in FrameMaker 11. I've seen a number of comparisons between FrameMaker and InDesign, and the concepts look very similar. Where can I go to show him the differences/similarities without boring him with lengthy explanations of concepts that he has already mastered?

Rosemarie

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 27, 2018 Oct 27, 2018

Hi Rosemarie:

I'm certified by Adobe to teach both applications. I occasionally have InDesign students moving to FrameMaker, and vice versa. Both applications are used for page layout, and while they have similarities (body pages and master pages, paragraph, character and table styles) they have significant differences in how you approach the layout. I suspect he will be a quick learner, but I would still strongly recommend that you send him to training. The freeform approach that works so well i

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 27, 2018 Oct 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rosemarie:

I'm certified by Adobe to teach both applications. I occasionally have InDesign students moving to FrameMaker, and vice versa. Both applications are used for page layout, and while they have similarities (body pages and master pages, paragraph, character and table styles) they have significant differences in how you approach the layout. I suspect he will be a quick learner, but I would still strongly recommend that you send him to training. The freeform approach that works so well in InDesign will be a disaster in FrameMaker.

And because so few people move between the two applications, there aren't a lot of resources like the ones you are asking for. Most users stick with one program or the other. I'm one of two people that I know who uses and teaches both, and I've only had a handful of students make the leap from one to the other. I'm sorry I can't be of more help, but if you have any specific questions, feel free to ask me.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2018 Oct 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Barb! Some of the work in the portfolio looked like what we wanted, and he sounded technically savvy. Most of the other people I've talked to have said to wait and see what he can do and tailor a program along those lines. Do you do "custom training" if he only needs certain concepts trained?

Rosemarie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 28, 2018 Oct 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Rosemarie:

I certainly do, and sent a private msg early this morning.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines