Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Table autonumbering disappears in .chm output

Explorer ,
Feb 03, 2017 Feb 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.

I am using Frame 2015 in a Win 7 environment.

My table titles include autonumbering. So do my figure captions.

When I publish to .chm, the table autonumbering disappears, whilc the figure caption autonumbering is displayed correctly. I've poked around in the Publish Settings but don't see any obvious way to handle the problem.

Does anyone know why this is happening and how to fix it?

--Nancy

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2017 Feb 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could someone who keeps an eye on this forum please take a look at this question? I've been playing around with editing the Publish output settings with no luck. Not only are the autonumbers truncated, so are parts of the Table Title text. This is a real problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like this:

Truncated table Title.png

There should be this additional tex preceding what you see in the title:

Figure ##  8 additional alpha characters

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it happening when you try and create any other types of output from FM? Like HTML5 help, webhelp..

How are your Conversion Settings handling the paragraph tags for the figure captions and table text?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Jeff.

I have done a good bit of exploring. Here are the results:

1. Autonumbering for tables also disappears in WebHelp and HTML5 output.

2. I compared my TableTitle and Caption paragraph conversion Publish settings and made them identical, but still the table autonumbering drops out while the caption autonumbering stays put.

3. My document has side heads. When a table stays within the text column, only the autonumbering is missing when I convert the doc to .chm. When a table goes all the way across the page, across the side head region, both the autonumering and some of the title text are missing. I changed the TableTitle paragraph format from In Column to Across All Columns and Side Heads. This change made no difference.

Can you suggest anything else to try?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has this ever worked or is it something new that's happening? My suspicion is that the FM Publish routine isn't robust enough to handle the FM layout you're using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the only project we've tried it on. And this document has zillions of tables, so it needs to work!

Autonumberoing does work with figure captions but not with table titles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know that tables will come through because I've got them in my content but I don't use side heads - everything is in one flow, one column.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff, do you have autonumbered table titles? The autonumbering doesn't come through even in tables in the main text column.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, Autonumbering doesn't make a difference. If I turn it off in a TableTitle for a table that stays in the main text column, the table title is still truncated. Instead of losing the autonumbering, I lose the first few words of the title.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, don't use table titles or autonumbering inside tables in my content. The header cells have text to explain what each column in the table is all about (it's pretty basic).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, thanks for your helpfulness. There's a bug page where I can report this, right? Can you give me the link? It sure seems like a bug to me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Back on the main forum page - Tracker

I don't know if this is a bug or not - it may not be something that FM supports in converting to HTML.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was told the RoboHelp "engine"  had been moved into FM entire, and I don't know if RH has this same problem. After I get this doc out, maybe I'll have the luxury to track the problem down some more. Thanks again for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Potentially RH has the same issues - can you share your FM content? If so, shoot me a private message & I could take a look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2017 Mar 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Jeff. I work with Nancy. Have you had a chance to look into this issue? Did you make any progress in figuring this out?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a look at the files, but wasn't able to figure out what's going on - I was getting the same drop-out in the headings too using FM2017.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a screenshot of your paragraph mapping for the table title and for the table mapping?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to do it but don't know what you mean. We use unstructured Frame. What do you mean by mapping? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 05, 2017 Apr 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Nancy, in Fm 2015 there's a Settings button in the Publish pod. From there you can choose Style Mapping, and you can map the Fm table format to a table format in the CSS. I'm away from my PC for a while so LMK if you need help still.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nancy,

The bug reporting info (along with other useful links) is on the main FM forum landing page [Adobe FrameMaker ].

The direct link to the bug reporting/feature request system (now called Tracker) is: https://tracker.adobe.com/#/home

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've discovered a time-consuming workaround: If I take my autonumbered TableTitle format and simply put it as a separate paragraph above the table, and use Convert to Text for the numbering option in the Publish settings, I get a correct autonumbered caption.

I think it's the actual "Table with Title" format that is the problem. The text inside that table title box area is what gets messed up. Is this helpful for figuring out what's going on?

I don't want to have to manually relabel dozens of tables, but I'll do it if I have to ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nancy, it seems to work for me. In this example I mapped the  Border Blue table format to the ​Simple Border​ format in the Publish settings.

Capture242.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is what the fm source file looks like:

fmtables.png

.chm looks like tjis:

chmoutputtable.png

Interestingly, autonumbering is preserved in html5 output. But we currently use .chms.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines