• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text Cut-Off at top of Text Frame

New Here ,
Dec 20, 2021 Dec 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot figure out how to prevent the text from getting cut-off by the Text Frame.

I'd also like to have the text centered vertically, but apprently (from reading other threads, here) that is not possible.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 21, 2021 Dec 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I know this effect for text with accents, such Änderungsbalken - but have not discovered it with capitalised text as you do.

Can you please make a screen shot in FrameMaker with View > Borders ON and View > Text Symbols ON to see the construct of your frame.

Better even: append an FM page with a copy of the problematic construct.

Example of text within a text frame (yellow) within an anchored frame (light yellowish) centred. Watch the handles of the text object which has been selected, then the text frame had been selected and center vortically and horizontal has been applied to it: The text does not appear to be centered, not even the object is centered verticalle (IMHO a bug):

Text-centred-in-frame.png

Well, but this is not a bug - the text line actually is not centered verticallywithin the yellow text frame but within the yellowish anchored frame. Hence the handles of the container did not disappear - as it is in the following picture. To center correctly, the container must be a graphic frame:

Text-centred-in-graphic-frame.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2021 Dec 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate your assistance! I've been using for more than 2 decades and use it to its full capacity. I'm new to FM ( about a year-and-a-half) and have come to realize that it is not as intuitive as I expected.

Hopefully, this screenshot helps...

- Rick

Richard22431072uujq_0-1640756000173.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 29, 2021 Dec 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

I see that the problematic call-out is a grouped object.

Can you please:

1. Create a new document from any template
  2. Insert the same sort of container object (probably anchored frame) you have in your original document.
  3. Copy the object you  have selected here into the new container.
  4. Either you upload this FM-file here for inspection or you provide much detail:
  • Ungroup the object and separate the items to see them independently - at best in vertical arrangement
  • Tell what the items are (graphic frame, text frame, rectangle, text line, ...): top: this; next: something; bottom: that.
  • Tell what font you are using (there are fonts in the 'free land' which have wrong metrics).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Dec 29, 2021 Dec 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even though FrameMaker allows all kinds of operations on graphics, it does not mean this is still a good idea for today's content creation. These types of graphic objects are virtually impossible to translate (translators do not work in FrameMaker) and cannot be used when moving to structured content (based on XML storage).

The better strategy is creating the complete graphic with callouts in an external application like Adobe Illustrator and saving it to SVG, then import it into your FrameMaker files. In that way, you keep the text available for translation, editing etc. without requiring a complete reworking of the graphics in FrameMaker. Also, you have much better control over all the elements in your combined graphic than any FrameMaker graphic operations allow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 10, 2022 Jan 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also add call-outs in FrameMaker and not in my graphics application as the original poster.

In FrameMaker I can be sure that all call-outs use the same font in the same size.

Graphics often have to be scaled, so that they fit to the main text frame width or column width. Sometimes the overall layout changes and requires scaling where it was not needed before. If the call-outs would be in my graphics files, the font size would change.

And the translation is much easier, when the text is in FrameMaker and not in a graphics application. All translation memory systems which can handle FrameMaker do not do have any problems with text in text frames in anchored frames.

Yes. Sometimes I have to resize some text frames after translation so that the text is not cut off. However, I do this in advance and before translations. Therefore I notice this issue not too often.

But yes, I have to check translations carefully, if there are text frames with cut off text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 10, 2022 Jan 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, translations are usually longer than original English text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines