Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

The same system variable shows different values in the same file

Explorer ,
Apr 13, 2021 Apr 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

In my master page for the procedural data module (Adobe FrameMaker S1000D), I add "Running H/F 3" whose definition is: "<$elemtext[dmCode]>". However, in the data module the first time it appears it shows the dmCode of the data module (I want it), but in other pages shows the dmCode of the business rules data module it is referenced to (it is a wrong value). I wanted to know how this is possible and how to show the data module code every time I use "Running H/F 3".

Thank you for your help in advanced

TOPICS
Formatting and numbering , Structured , XML author

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 13, 2021 Apr 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if this forum allows it, but can you post a sample document? Or if you want to meet so I can look at it, please contact me offlist. Thanks. rick at frameexpert dot com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Apr 14, 2021 Apr 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sanamdeh,

I believe you'll have to modify the EDD for S1000D to get this result. The running header/footer pulls information for the last occurrence of some object to appear on or before a page. In your case, you are asking for the text within the last element named dmCode to appear on the page. There is nothing to distinguish a dmCode for a data module from that for business rules. For example, you could define a new element called dmCodeDataModule or dmCodeRunningHeader, allow it as an alternative to dmCode. You could then refer to the new element in your definition of the Running H/F 3.

The ability to refer to a context label or attribute value when selecting an element in a running H/F variable would be a useful enhancement, but I don't see that either is possible. You might want to file an enhancement request. After all, context labels (which may be defined based on attribute values) can be used to select entries in a table of contents or other generated list. The same thing should be doable in a header or footer.

--Lynne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 16, 2021 Apr 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

But I don't have this problem in descriptive or crew data modules (they both also referred to the same BREX data module). I only have this problem in procedural data modules.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines