• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ToC Chapter Numbering In Volumes not resetting to 1 but simply incrementing from previous Volume

Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a head-scratcher for the Community here. Grab a cup of coffee, this will be long:

I have a Book with well over 1000 pages, and it is made up of a compilation of over 30 smaller, complete, and correctly-printing Books.

First, a clarification of terms: My Customer prefers the terminolgy "Section n" over FM's term of "Volume n" to demarcate the individual Books in the compliation. Since Volume is higher in the heirarchy, I'm using it to (successfully) set up the Sectioning of the main book file. 

The problem: The first Chapter of a book within the "Section" does not pick up the correct "Chapter 1" numbering from the book file, although both the Book level and the Chapter level document are set correctly.

I'm using the Volume arguments within FM to create the "Section" numbering, and that's working well, and updating correctly.

However:

In the indivdual contributing Book files, the Chapter Numbering tab for both the first Chapter file and the Book file are set correctly - to Chapter 1.

I have everything updating smoothly in the Front Matter - EXCEPT the nested Chapter numbers within the Sections. (In the original contributing Books, this all works perfectly.)

And the Chapter numbering of course throws off all the subsequent numbering within the ToC. I had to go in and create a 'Chapter Number FIRST' style to reset the first Chapter number in the Books, then manually apply it, and after that all subsequent numbering within that one book will fall into place. The wasting of time and subsequent deep annoyance comes when I have to go into the ToC and fix the first Chapter of over 30 individual books. Time after time, after time, after time, as material is added.

I cannot screenshot an example due to IP restrictions, but I'll create something here to simulate the results of an Update Book:

Section 1: Shebangus Integration Basics

Chapter 1: Power Supply Requirements

1.0: Noise Filters

1.0.1: Component Recommendations

Chapter 2: I/O Constrictions and Levels

2.0: Voltage Tolerances

2.0.1: Undershoot and Overshoot

(and so on) 

Section 2: Shebangus Integration With a Frammis

Chapter 3: Frammis Mounting ← Notice how the Chapter Number does not reset!

3.1: Special Placement Restrictions 

Chapter 4Connections ← Chapter Number increments normally

4.1: Static Safety

(and so on)

Thank you in advance for the help, while I still have hair left...

TOPICS
Content migration , Error , Formatting and numbering , Publishing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eric:

I don't work with hierarchial books, so was hoping someone else would step in to answer this. Since no one has responded yet, I'll try to get the conversation started. We'll see how far we can get.

My first question is how is the auto-numbering set up for the chapter titles? Is it using the <$chapnum> building block as in my screenshot or is it using the <n+> building block? Please open Chapter 3: Frammis Mounting and show us the auto-number definition for your chapter titles.

ct.png

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the help, Barb!

Here's what I'm using for the regular Chapter numbering:

Chapter <n+>.

And what I'm using for the special format to reset the Chapter numbering to zero:

Chapter <n=1>.

Both of these are in the ToC, not the Chapter. I notice the argument you're using is the string <$chaptnum> . Is this in your Chapter file or in the book's ToC?

And one thing I forgot to mention above is that I'm using the latest, FM2019. Again, sorry for having to use plaintext; I have to be able to honestly say that I have not taken screenshots within the document. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There we go!

If you aren't using the <$chapnum> building block, changing the counter in Chapter Numbering tab won't do anything. Instead, right click Chapter 3: Frammis Mounting in the book window and set Paragraph numbering to restart. Does that do it?

cn.png

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

I'll try this and re-do the Update Book. The Update will take all afternoon, so I'll have to report back tomorrow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All afternoon? Yikes! It may be quicker to test if you make a few adjustments in the Update Book dialog box. Disable everything but numbering. It should go more quickly. If it works, I'll explain why, and if it doesn't, we can continue onward.

~Barb 

ub.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I can reply even more quickly. All the Paragraph numbering is set to Restart Paragraph Numbering, just as you have above. 

<snaps fingers> DARN.

Must be something else...

And let me thank you again for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's go back to my first post. Please share a screen shot of the Paragraph Designer > Numbering with the chapter title (or chapter number) style selected—similar to what I shared.

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's what I have in the Chapter file:

ericb39592353_0-1613434575856.png

I tried adding the argument, "=1" to try to reset it; that hasn't worked.

And here's what's in the Book file. Note that I created a special format to reset the first Chapter in a Section to 1:

ericb39592353_1-1613434706563.png

Thanks again for looking at this; I'll check in tomorrow morning to see if you have any insights.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ericb39592353, in one dialog screen shot I spy:
C:Chapter…
and that series indicator C: is not present in another.

If you are using a dedicated counter series, the indicator (which is case-sensistive as I recall) needs to be in all expressions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice catch, Bob.

In addition, <$chapnum> is a standalone building block. <$chapnum=1> doesn't work. The <$chapnum> building block is always controlled via Numbering Properties. You can tell it to increment or start at a particular number in the document or in the book window. Always set it via the book window. 

In the old days, we didn't have <$chapnum>, so we used the <n> building block (<n> <n+> <n=1>). I was trying to figure out if you had a legacy file that still uses the old numbering system. 

These days, we use  <$chapnum> only for the actual chapter numbers, and the <n> for all of the subheading, figure, table and equation numbers. 

I'm teaching today and have to go start my class. I'll swing back by this evening to see where you are. Hopefully, you will have it all figured out by then. 

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By George (Barb), I think you're onto it:

we used the <n> building block (<n> <n+> <n=1>). I was trying to figure out if you had a legacy file that still uses the old numbering system

These templates came with me as one of my Competitive Advantage offerings when I started this job as a Contractor ("can sit down and begin creating from Day One"). I've used them for a VERY long time - and they don't have the "new" <$chapnum> argument. I'll run an Update Book and begin reworking my ToC template. That'll take a day or so, let's see how it turns out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I've reworked the Front Matter, but the Chapter numbers in the ToC are still botched up. I'll copy in the style boxes and the result, which I will have to redact before posting.

From the ToC:

ericb39592353_0-1613592996725.png

From a sample Chapter in the book:

ericb39592353_1-1613593175239.png

The results in the ToC, redacted:

ericb39592353_2-1613594158784.png

And the next Chapter doesn't get updated for numbering nor having the Headings reset:

ericb39592353_3-1613594462211.png

The Numbering Properties in both the book and the Chapter file are set correctly. Can you figure out what I'm not getting, here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been a couple weeks, and it looks like we don't have an answer. I'll go back to the old tried-and-true method.

Thank you all for trying to help; I very much appreciate it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to have dropped the ball, Eric. To be able to help you I really need to look at the files, and I know there are there are privacy issues. If that changes, of course reach back out to me, otherwise I wish you the best.

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barb,

Thank you, and everyone there, for all your work in trying to help. 

Unfortunately, you are right: due to IP issues, I absolutely cannot share files; there is no practical way I could redact them to the point where they would be shareable. 

If in the future, I manage to figure it out, I'll come back and post the solution. (One of my pet peeves is folks on a Forum where a problem is resolved, but no followup is posted. As the saying goes, "I don't want to be that guy.")

Eric

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Can you set up a new book using the same templates and settings and just use Lorem Ipsum text? No IP involved, just use your templates to set up something similar with the random text and using the same book structure should work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines