• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Triggering master pages

Explorer ,
May 31, 2022 May 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found it helpful to trigger masterpage usage by defining paragraph types, defining them and the associated masterpage in the reference page map and simply adding a small text box to the page with the required paragraph inserted. Works like a dream, especially for landscape pages. Can someone tell me why this is a bad practice and suggest a better one? 🙂

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hm. I would say this is an approach which works.

However:

If the content changes, the master page will still be assigned to this page, although the content for this master page has moved to the previous or next page.

If there is a regular paragraph, e.g. a heading or something like that, you can also use this to trigger the master page. You can also create a unique paragraph format for this heading.

Then the master page would move with the content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use both. But for example, on my landscape pages there are only images and captions. The latter exist on regular body pages as well. So my LandscapeHiddenParagraph works fine. Of course you may need to make changes as content changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 01, 2022 Jun 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Can someone tell me why this is a bad practice and suggest a better one? 🙂"

Restating what Winfried mentioned, with your method, you are creating more work for yourself and introducing a potential for wrong page assignments. 

Instead, create custom paragraph styles that trigger master page assignments. This will allow FrameMaker to manage the page assignments as your content expands and contracts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Isn't that what I did?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you put an extra text frame on the page with invisible text to allow the mapping table to work.

If you just map to the paragraph styles in your content you'll create faster and not have to double-check master page assignments down the road.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to me not quite that simple, at least in my case. For example, I may have pages where the only paragraph type is body. If I want to distinguish between left/right pages with/without headers/footers, then the hidden paragraph types give me that control.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

why not have body left footer, body right no header, etc. in your paragraph catalog?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, even easier than that, as body no header can call up the necessary left/right page per the mapping table.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are suggesting cloning the body paragraph type to "body no header"? Then what happens when I add content and that paragraph type moves to the next page in the flow where it is not wanted?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Presumably, the content (and tag) are what dictate the need for the special master page. 

The point of tagging this way is so that the master page assignment follows with the paragraph requiring the special master page.

For example, if I use a paragraph tag called Full Page Graphic, and then I use it to map to the FullPageGraphic master page, when the paragraph (and anchored frame) move to the next page, the master page assignment follows properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For my work flow I believe that the way I am doing it is simpler. Not to mention that if I have multiple paragraph types that differ only in their mapping to master pages, if  change any parameter - font, spacing, indents, etc, I then have to change them in all types. With my method, I can also wait until the final edit to apply the hidden paragraph types.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like you have the perfect solution for your workflow!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for youir suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines