• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trying to use an Adobe Stock image in Framemaker crashes on PDF build.

Explorer ,
Aug 10, 2018 Aug 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I just signed up for Adobe Stock as I need some background images for a project I'm working on. I've used Framemaker for many years now.

I load image #15166609 onto a Master Page of my document. When I try to create the PDF, it hangs every single time. At first I didn't know why this was occurring and I went thru a painstaking process of eliminating variables until only one was left; image # 15166609.

I can't use this image altho other images I've set as background on a Master Page work fine.

Anyway know if this is a bug? anamoly? corrupted file?

Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,

Oscar Salgado

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anything about the image? Have you tried using it in a Word doc and PDFing that? (just to test it)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Odd, I use Adobe Stock all the time.

What's the image type, and what's its color mode?

I'd try redownloading, and then contact Stock about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the feedback. The image is Adobe Stock # 15166609. It's an SVG. However Adobe TS is thinking it may be a problem with my Acrobat Distiller. waiting for them to call back. 

On Friday, August 10, 2018, 4:36:24 PM PDT, Tech Comm Tools <forums_noreply@adobe.com> wrote:

Trying to use an Adobe Stock image in Framemaker crashes on PDF build.

created by Tech Comm Tools in Adobe FrameMaker - View the full discussion

Odd, I use Adobe Stock all the time.

What's the image type, and what's its color mode?

I'd try redownloading, and then contact Stock about it.

If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/10554584#10554584 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page:

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/10554584#10554584

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following"

Start a new discussion in Adobe FrameMaker by email or at Adobe Community

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.

This email was sent by Adobe Community because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from Adobe Community, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open the SVG in Illustrator, save as AI or other format and reimport

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 15, 2018 Aug 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all the comments everyone.

After much hair-pulling, made worse by the fact that I was not getting consistent results, it seems that every Adobe Stock image with file extension .AI I tried had the following effects:

1. Each image placed on a master page would make the PDF generation take much, much longer than usual. And if I had several Adobe Stock images on different master pages in different FM files in my book, the PDF generation would simply crash.

2. If I removed the offending images, the PDF generation worked as before. Really fast, with no problems.

The problem seemed to be with any Adobe Stock image with file extension AI or EPS as mentioned above. The ones I tried are: AdobeStock_51050066, 71487407, 72354544, 72992061, 76445982, 114666479, and 176279767.

I tried it on FM2015 and FM2017. Reinstalling made no difference. Adobe TS even had me edit a maker.ini file by adding to the [APIClients] section the statement:

MIFwash=Standard, MIF Wash, fminit\BookComponentMIFWash.dll, all

They also had me move the file BookComponentMIFWash.dll to the \fminit folder.

At this point, Adobe TS is stumped. I sent them my project on a zip file and they were going to try it at there end. I'm still waiting to hear from them on that.

So I'm going to finish my project (a Case Study) without any background graphics - at least none from Adobe Stock.

Thanks again for the comments.

Oscar Salgado

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Weird. As I mentioned I use Stock all the time.

I'm sure you're tired of trying new things, but did you try saving AI files as PDF? What about saving back to an earlier version of Illustrator?

IIRC, Illustrator 7 was a big shift in gradients, so Illust. 3 might be the trick.

In my experience, Fm is about the best application for passing through graphics (seems like it can take 100 different formats), so I'm surprised you can't get an AI file to process.

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have Illustrator. I've never used it.

I do all my work in Framemaker. I do agree with you about FM being just about the best application for passing through graphics. I've used FM almost exclusively for over 20 years now.

Appreciate the comments, thanks Matt.

O

(previous reply removed)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Again, if you're so inclined, you might download a trial of Illustrator to see if saving backward removes the issue, or at least ask the Adobe TS team to do so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines