Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to open Template Files present on Office Sharepoint in FM version 11

New Here ,
Apr 26, 2021 Apr 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I have few FM template files located on office Sharepoint that I want to work upon. However, I am unable to open these files with Framemaker 11 version installed on my laptop.

I tried to locate the version in which these template files were created, but I was unable to find the version.

The following error message gets diaplayed when I try to open these template files:

FM Error.png

Can anyone help me in fixing this issue? Do we have any workaround to open this document in version 11 of FrameMaker?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Download the trial of FM2020 on another (non-production machine), apply all updates - copy the FM2015 file to that machine and open it (it will upgrade it, so use a copy). Then MIF save it back so that your FM11 can open it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you open the FM template file with a text editor?

The very first line lists the FM version.

For example for FM 2020: <MakerFile 16.0>

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Winfried,

Thanks for the reply.

I openend the file in text editor and it lists the FM version as 13.0
<MakerFile 13.0>

Thanks and Regards,

Rinni

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rinni,

OK. Then you see that this file was saved with FrameMaker 13 (2015). You cannot open it in FrameMaker 11.

When someone with FM 2015 saves this file as MIF (not MIF 7.0), you can open it also in FM 11.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Winfried,

Thanks for your reply again.

Is there no other workaround to open this file in FM 11 other than saving it as a MIF in FM 13?

The only challenge I see here is we can't upgrade to FM 13 at a moment because our client specific docs are all in FM 11 and upgrading to FM 13 would mean upgrading all those docs from FM 11 to FM 13, which is ideally not feasible for us due to release schedules and timelines and we are unable to reach out to the person who created this template in FM 13.

So, if you can suggest any other workaround, it would be great help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Download the trial of FM2020 on another (non-production machine), apply all updates - copy the FM2015 file to that machine and open it (it will upgrade it, so use a copy). Then MIF save it back so that your FM11 can open it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And if trial-copy is not an option, Heroic Open might be worth a try.
Search forum for details.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you all for your replies.

I tried Heroic open, but it didn't work for me.

I will check with my manager and higher management if we can get the trial installed on system and then convert the template files to .MIF and use it with our FM 11 version.

Once again, thank you for the replies and support 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines