• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to save as PDF in FrameMaker 2017

Explorer ,
Feb 18, 2019 Feb 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been able to use this feature as recently as 02/11.  We did three Windows 10 updates last week.

KB4487038 02/13

KB4487017 02/13

KB4023057 02/15

I wonder if that had anything to do with it.  Anyone else having this problem?

Thanks.

TOPICS
PDF output

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 13, 2019 Mar 13, 2019

Shoot a PM over to @meenakshin83966505 for the

fix

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2019 Mar 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am back to not being able to print to PDF or save as PDF again, but only on two files which contain quite a few graphics. After waiting over an hour I am forced to crash FrameMaker but no PDF is produced. Most images are Illustrator format (CS6). I have reverted back to ai format due to problems with svg graphics. I have other files with png format and they print, at least last time that I tried them. I can print the problem files in about 15 seconds if I turn off the graphics. My laptop installation has the same problem.

My colleague (on the subscription licence) can still print all of the files, regardless of the graphics.

I have noticed a very high load in Task Manager for 'Antimalware Service Executable' (which I believe belongs to Windows Defender) when I am trying to save as PDF. When I close FrameMaker this stops. I did disable Defender but I still could not get a result.

If I try to print to PDF (as opposed to print to PDF) I see a new error message and I can only print the first page (in about five seconds).

The error is:

"Cannot print because FrameMaker cannot locate FrameMaker printer configuration file header.ps"

I had this problem from Monday, before the latest Windows update. Applying the update did not make any difference.

I am wasting hours chasing this fault again, and I don't have the time to spare. Part of my justification for using 'professional tools' was the support and reliability... It is getting difficult to justify the cost of the upgrade to 2019, especially as the problem seems to be similar for that version. Are 2019 version users waiting up to an hour to print a 28 page document?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 15, 2019 Mar 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have sent you a private message. Please check your inbox and provide the requested information so that we can assist you further.

Regards,

Ajit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2019 Mar 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked on both computers. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 26, 2019 Mar 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently discovered that, with SVG files created from Visio, if I:

1. Group all the objects
  2. Shrink to fit the drawing
  3. Ungroup all the objects
  4. Save to SVG

I no longer have issues with creating a PDF file that contains SVGs that were created by Visio. Winifried Reng reports on the Frameusers list that this does not work with SVGs created from Corel, but it might work with whatever program you're using to create them. Worth a shot, anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 07, 2019 Mar 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mayank,

I am not eager to have Acrobat take hours for my documents, but at least it would work.

Is there a similar patch for Acrobat Pro DC?

Currently I have version 2019.010.20098.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 08, 2019 Mar 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Winfried,

Please find the patch for Acrobat DC 2019:

[ Moderator: The link has been removed. The link will be shared privately.]

Regards,

Mayank

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mayank,

Great! You are a genius!

Everything works again! I installed this patch and tested it with one of my large documens with complex EPS files. FrameMaker and Acrobat created the PDF without any problems. In my point of view it was as fast as always.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

We have sent you an email with the fix patch for this issue.

Please check your inbox and install the patch provided in that email.

Let us know if you experience any issue.

Regards,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem with not being able to print to PDF. What is the patch that fixes this issue?

Thanks,

Jenny

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shoot a PM over to @meenakshin83966505 for the

fix

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2019 Mar 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've sent three PMs in the past few days to meenakshin83966505​, but haven't gotten a response. Can someone else please send me the fix? I can't finish my documents until this issue is resolved! Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Donc,

I have sent you a private message.

Please check your inbox and refer to the steps provided there.

Let us know if you need any help.

Regards,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Meenakshi,

I went to the site and I do not see an option to mark complete. You are sending this to Donc but that is not my account. 

Thanks,Kevin

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

On Tue, 19 Mar 2019 at 4:59 PM, meenakshin83966505<forums_noreply@adobe.com> wrote:

Unable to save as PDF in FrameMaker 2017

created by meenakshin83966505 in Adobe FrameMaker - View the full discussion

Hi Donc,

I have sent you a private message.

Please check your inbox and refer to the steps provided there.

Regards,

Meenakshi

If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/10986608#10986608 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page:

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/10986608#10986608

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following"

Start a new discussion in Adobe FrameMaker by email or at Adobe Community

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.

This email was sent by Adobe Community because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from Adobe Community, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2019 Mar 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Meenakshi,

i have not had a response to my last reply advising you that the patch no longer works.

I cannot save or print to PDF again on either my desktop or laptop. I am using TechComm 2017 on Windows 10. The Acrobat Pro patch worked to a point, but still took a long time to produce a PDF. My laptop version was able to print and save to PDF for a while which provided some sort of work around. Yesterday, the  Windows 10 updates caught up and that stopped my PDF work around. Now all i get is a large TPS file created, but no PDF.

I have two problem documents, both with a large number of Illustrator files. They will not print or save to PDF. If I turn off graphics they print with no problems, but that is not much use for a parts list.

I have contract deliverables which i cannot meet without PDF output. What do i need to do to get Adobe support to resolve what is now an urgent issue for me to meet contract obligations?

Thanks,

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 22, 2019 Mar 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We have sent an email to you. Please reply back so that we can connect and assist you further.

Regards,

Ajit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no option to click correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave, please check out the steps I use to troubleshoot PDF creation in Fm 2017 and earlier. If these steps don't work, we can go from there.

https://techcommtools.com/framemaker-pdf-tips-and-tricks/

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2019 Apr 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Matt,

thanks for the suggestions. I did use your checklist the first time I was having problems. I made some changes based on your checklist but it did not fix the second issue. I can now save to PDF again (with the patch).

The cause of my last problem was the PDF documents (some of the graphics files) that I had inserted into my FrameMaker documents. It turns out that the problem PDF documents were created on an Apple computer. I only found out by chance, talking to the creator of the files, that he was using a Mac. An error message in a log file indicated there was an issue with the PDF 2008 format (I cannot remember the specific error - but it was related to the PDF format). The only changes that I had made to the file, that I could save to PDF, was to add some text and graphics using PDF source files (that was all that was provided). After adding the changes I could no longer save to PDF and FrameMaker would hang with no log file or error messages. When I removed the PDF documents from the file I could save to PDF again with no problems. If I added one back in I could no longer save to PDF and FrameMaker would hang. I took a screenshot of the graphics and added them as PNG files and I could save to PDF again. I was able to repeat the issues with the other files that had problems printing. The problem was the PDF comparability or archive format from the Mac.

There was definitely an issue saving to PDF. The patch fixed the issue. I don't know if the Mac PDF format is a known issue or not. I am testing with the Mac user to get EPS files to see if the problem can be sorted. One of the replies to this thread suggested printing with graphics turned off. I have used this as a test point several times and it identified the problem area was the graphics files. FrameMaker is working as it should again - for now.

I hope this feedback might help someone else sort out their problems.

Regards,

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2019 Mar 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello - I just stumbled upon this issue and found this forum.  We are running FrameMaker 2015 and Adobe Pro DC 2019.010.20098 and Adobe Distiller 19.10.20091315611 on Windows 10, Enterprise version.  I cannot seem to find where they list the specific Windows update number but we just had an update this past Monday, 3/25.  Everything worked fine until we (3 of us) did the Windows update this week.  Most of the FM files that are crashing contain graphics.

Please send me the patch that seems to have fixed a majority of the issues.  Also, will this patch be updated in future versions of Adobe Pro DC and the Distiller?

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2019 Mar 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a follow up to my previous comment/question, I found another person here in our office with FrameMaker 2015 and an older version of Distiller (version 18.11.20040281318) and I can create print to pdf files easily using that computer.  My issue seems to be with the new version of Distiller. 

Is there a Distiller fix in work or a patch available?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 01, 2019 Apr 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monicaz,

I have sent you a private message, Please check your inbox.

Regards,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  I was able to compile the book I was having trouble with, with no problems.  I think it’s fixed.

Dennis Vied

[personal information and contact data removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2019 Mar 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stephan,

I am using Framemaker 2015 and 2 of my computers won't print and my laptop will.

My 2 computers have Acrobat DC on them and the laptop has Acrobat Pro 9.

My files get stuck when they come across pdf graphics that are imported by reference.

Not sure if this helps.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2019 Feb 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some quick answers from me:

- I'm on Win10 1703, as are most people in my team. But one person is on Win7 and still sees the problem.

- I've got KB4487038 installed but not the other 2. They're not available for 1703.

- I can distill the test spaceship doc

I'll do more troubleshooting in about an hour, but I've got to do other stuff first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2019 Feb 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another update from me:

FrameMaker 2019

Two of us have installed FM2019, and it looks like:

• The “save as PDF” path works
  • The print to postscript path results in PS files that can’t be distilled
  • The “save as PDF” mangles the Helvetica font in the PDFs, but we expect that’s an unrelated problem.

So overall, 2019 “save as PDF” seems okay.

We also saved one of the files back to FM2012 and it still failed.

We don’t think the problem’s with FM. We’re very suspicious of Distiller.

Our failing documents

We now have 7 failed files – all but one of the files we’ve tried.

3 are okay with CMYK but not RGB.

2 are okay as long as we remove one of their diagrams (a particular diagram, not just any diagram)

1 is okay if we remove 2 of its diagrams AND use CMYK.

1 is okay if we remove all 14 of its diagrams.

The Graphics setting

Turning off Graphics in View > Options menu made some of our PDFs printable but not all of them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines