• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unclickable Xrefs

Participant ,
Jan 24, 2019 Jan 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the body text of one document I refer to a figure on the same page, using language something like this:  See Figure 10 below.

However, I don't want to enter the figure number in the body text because the actual number might change in the future.  So it makes sense to use a variable for the number.  Normally I'd use a cross reference for this, but that would make the variable a clickable link.  Since the image is on the same page, I don't need (or want) the variable to be clickable.  I just want the number to update automagically.

Is there a way to accomplish this in Frame?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Doug:

I don't want to enter the figure number in the body text because the actual number might change in the future.

I'm not sure where variables come in to this. I would a.) use auto-numbers for the table titles because yes, the numbers may change in the future if you add or delete a table and then they will update automatically, and b.) an x-ref to refer to them because the x-ref will update after the tables/flow updates.

I hear what you are saying about x-refs being hyperlinks and not wanting one if it is on the same page, but you don't have to highlight it with a character format so the reader may never know it is there. And how are you publishing the file? PDF?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't mean variables as in a Variable entry on the Variables pod.  I mean variable as in a stored value that is subject to change.  And I do use auto-numbered for the titles, and x-refs for referring to them.

I don't highlight my xrefs with character formats, so I admit they look OK in the PDF ( though you can click them).  But in HTML5 they are blue and underlined.  When you click them the focus changes location, which is disorienting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pretty sure that with a bit of CSS work, they wouldn't appear as blue underlines in your HTML5 output either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure that's true, but it doesn't answer my question.  Unless it really does

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, both answers make sense. And so does Jeff’s. You can disable the blue underlines vis CSS In your HTML output.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you certain that figure will always be on the same page?

I think that if you set up a special xref format with a specific character tag for just that xref, you can then set up the CSS to map it to an HTML tag that isn't blue underlined and maybe isn't even an active link. I'd hesitate on that, though, unless that graphic is literally the next thing seen on the page/screen and they don't have to scroll to see it.

Also, I am barely a novice in knowledge of HTML of any sort, so I don't know for certain this is do-able, just that I think it ought to be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Doug:

I'm sure that's true, but it doesn't answer my question.

To answer your question, you cannot disable the hyperlink on an x-ref in FrameMaker—it's built in.

I would still recommend using an x-ref to reference the table titles because you want the numbers to be able to update both in the tables and in the x-refs that refer to them. X-refs are the only way FrameMaker can handle that requirement.

You can log in a feature request here: Tracker. And in the meantime, you might explore CSS Styling Links​ and/or ask for help from the web designer at your organization.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 25, 2019 Jan 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem with linking to the titles is that our company policy dictates that our titles display BELOW the table/figure/equation.  So when a reader clicks the link, the title displays at the top of the screen--which puts the actual table/figure/equation out of sight, above the top of the screen.

Now that I understand that Frame doesn't support non-clickable references, I'll look into modifying the CSS.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Doug:

And do log a feature request using the Tracker link, above. You can reference this thread, and come back here and add a link to the request so that others reading this later with the same concern can vote it up.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what your workflow looks like, and this might add another step, but.... You could maintain the master document with the xrefs, so your text references will update, but before you publish to HTML5, convert the xrefs to text. In the Cross-Reference pod, click "Convert to Text..." and then select the unique xref format in the dialog:

Xref.JPG

Work in a copy of your master doc (or quit without saving after you publish) to preserve the live xrefs for future updates.

As for the PDF output, if you set the Initial View properties of the PDF file to "Single Page" and "Fit Page," even a live xref to something on the same page will have no visible effect.

Hope this is helpful....

-Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines