• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unresolved Cross References Keep Returning

New Here ,
Sep 13, 2017 Sep 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a few cross references that I cannot resolve. I have even gone as far as the nuclear option of deleting the cross reference and the marker. The same ones always come back after I save the book and reopen it. Framemaker 2015.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 13, 2017 Sep 13, 2017

Do the target files show any messages when they are opened? For example missing fonts?

FrameMaker can resolve cross-references only, if it can open the target file without any error message.

When you open the files with the cross-reference markers, before you update the book or before you search for unresolved cross-references, do you still get a message that there are unresolved cross-references?

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are they xrefs of a particular type? I.e. to a para tag or a marker?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, no. Several different para tags and several different markers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may be worth noting that all of the ones that keep coming back after I resolve them are in other files within the book. There are plenty of resolved x-refs with the same characteristic though. It isn't consistent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rlterziaiii,

Is there any chance you created the cross-references but did not save the files to which they link?

When you create a cross-reference, the cross-reference source (a paragraph in an unstructured document, or a paragraph or element in a structured document) must contain information that FM can look for in order to update cross-references. For cross-references to paragraphs, the cross-reference is defined by a Cross-Ref marker in the source paragraph; for cross-references to elements it is defined by a unique ID attribute on the source element.

You can define your own Cross-Ref markers or let FM create them; you can set your own unique ID attributes or let FM set them, but they have to be there. And if you close the files containing the xref sources without saving them, FM will not be able to find the sources the next time you open the file with the xrefs. Those xrefs will be unresolved.

For example, suppose you edit file a.fm by creating a paragraph-based xref to flle b.fm. If the paragraph you've picked in b.fm does not already have an appropriate marker, FM creates one. If you close file b.fm without saving it, assuming it has not changed because you did not explicitly save it, the cross-reference will be unresolved. The next time you try to use the cross-reference in a.fm, FM will not be able to find the cited material.

I don't know if what I've described applies in your case, but it is one of the first things I would check.

--Lynne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Following up on Lynne's explanation, when you work with cross-document x-refs, you need to save all the files that are impacted (with edits to the reference or to the marker). FrameMaker makes this easy—in the book window, hold down the Shift key prior to opening the File menu to reveal Save All Files in Book.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2017 Sep 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always use the SHFT+FILE option before I close the book. FIND/CHANGE says "none found" after I resolve the unresolved. After I all files (and the book) and close, they always return when I reopen the book.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Think you need to fix up those error messages first & then try to repair your unresolved xrefs. The target files aren't locked are they?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do the target files show any messages when they are opened? For example missing fonts?

FrameMaker can resolve cross-references only, if it can open the target file without any error message.

When you open the files with the cross-reference markers, before you update the book or before you search for unresolved cross-references, do you still get a message that there are unresolved cross-references?

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. The template that we use has several fonts that FM "converts to other fonts. For example 'The "Eurostile" font is not available. "Times New Roman will be used in this session." We do not use any of these fonts, however. All text is in Arial.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Winfried,

You are a life saver. I fixed the font issue, then re-resolved the x-refs. Problem fixed! I had always just disregarded the font error message because we do not use any of those fonts anyway (or so I thought). Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines