• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using a specific font in FM I can either make no PDF or get a PDF with no clickable links in it. How can I solve this?

Explorer ,
Jan 11, 2019 Jan 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use TCS 2017 release. One file of my book contains a specific font (a webfont my company develops for its software).

I cannot convert that file or that book into a PDF document, unless PDF option “Rely on system fonts only; do not use document fonts” is disabled.

But when this function is disabled, there is no link in the PDF document: cross-references, the TOC, the Index, nothing can be clicked.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 11, 2019 Jan 11, 2019

So it sounds like there's something about this font that prevents it from being included in the PDF creation process - I don't think you're going to find out much here in the FM forums; I suspect searching over in the Acrobat forums may be more fruitful.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it sounds like there's something about this font that prevents it from being included in the PDF creation process - I don't think you're going to find out much here in the FM forums; I suspect searching over in the Acrobat forums may be more fruitful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right.

Everytime I use the PDF printer there are no links in the PDF doc.

When I use "save as PDF" there are links. But I can't use "Save as PDF" with a file containing the font (it won't produce any pdf file).

So I have to figure out how to use the correct pdf printer in the Print prompt and/or how to parameter the pdf printer printer used by "save as pdf" (in order to get rid of that "Rely on system fonts only" option). Definitly a pdf issue.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The PDF joboptions may need to be adjusted. The font options specify what to do if a font can't be embedded, i.e. fail the job or warn and continue.

FYI, a font can have a permissions setting that forbids it from being embedded in a PDF. So check to see if the webfont forbids embedding using a tool such as FontDrop: https://fontdrop.info

If your company created the font, then it should be able to adjust the permissions so that you can use it in a PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 04, 2019 Feb 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I asked this question in the PDF forum How to "save as PDF" a FrameMaker file with web fonts? and BarbBinder​ gave the solution:

when using the pdf printer, option Generate Acrobat Data must be enabled.

FM files converted to PDF format via the pdf printer now contain hyperlinks.

But I still don't know how to directly convert FM files to PDF format using the Save as PDF option when the FM file uses web fonts (any web font, not only the one my company produced).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines