I have a chapter heading that is converting to PDF weirdly, but only for one file. The tags used for the headings are identical in both files. The tag used in the generated TOC is identical for both entries.
This is what it looks like in the generated TOC:
This is what it looks like after the PDF output is created.
Why is the word Software so oddly spaced in both entries after conversion to PDF? It's only those two headings that convert so oddly. All the others are spaced correctly.
I did just vote for your Tracker item. It'd be nice to get it resolved!
HI, I'm experiencing the same exact problem as Lin.
I use the Segoe UI /Source Sans Pro/Kelson fonts - and they sometimes, only in specific places or specific word combinations come out exactly as Lin shows above (weird spacing and letters sticking together).
I would love a solution to this problem. Using Save as PDF does help, but then I have problems with the graphics. I haven't tried the File>Print option - but I imagine that will not support the transparencies for the graphics I need.
I must say - this is very frustrating!
While I'm sorry you're experiencing the same issue, it's so nice to hear from someone else it happened to. Sometimes I feel like a real edge case, you know?
If it weren't that the TOC needs to link to locations in the PDF, I'd be tempted to PDF the TOC separate from the rest of it and then insert it later on.
You mentioned "Save as PDF does help, but then I have problems with the graphics"...
What are your graphics issues?
The transparencies don't go through. I retried the SaveAsPDF and that apparently uses the last joboption used by the Publish option - so sometimes it works and sometimes not. However, as Lin described, the Print option (File>Print) to PS and then distilling does give me the fonts ok - just my graphic transparencies don't work then. I found a solution online (search online: Framemaker Transparencies in PDF) from "GeoF/X" from years back on how to write the PS code on the file so that transparencies do work - and that did help, but it's complicated when I have more than one graphic transparency. You can see the problem in the pic I attached. This graphic problem, the Adobe guys fixed in the FM 2020 version, via the Publish pod apparently. Which is great. But now we have to work on these font problems.
Taking a step back, have you compared the settings used for the Print method to the ones used for the Publish method?
When I've run into this issue, I've always been able to get past it by rechecking/changing the conversion settings.
I have a post that is basically my troubleshooting notes on using the Distiller method at
You may have already addressed the things I mention, but it might be worth checking each of the settings described there.
PDFX/4 should be the joboptions used for supporting transparency.
If you don't see PDFX/4 in your settings, see https://techcommtools.com/perfect-pdf/ for an explanation, and a video showing info about installing the latest PDF-A and PDF-X options.
The issue reported was occuring due to following facts :
Issue will not occur once proper setting is followed for english content .
FM & FMS Engg.