• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What do I need to do to include the comment markers as comments in the PDF?

Explorer ,
Jan 19, 2019 Jan 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm using FM 2015 (TCS) and have inserted quite a few comment markers in the book's files. When generating the PDF I expected to see these comments as comment notes in the PDF file, but this isn't the case. None of these comment markers appear. (There is no condition applied to these markers and there's no problem in generating a LOM with these comments.)

Are there any specific settings that need to be enabled to include these comments in the PDF output in their actual context?

Will greatly appreciate any advice.

Thanks, Donna

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 19, 2019 Jan 19, 2019

Hi Donna:

The Hypertext marker box is just an updated version of the Marker box. In earliest versions they were combined.

So, you can just paste "Alert " (no quotes but you need that space) in front of the existing marker text. (Probably quicker if you edit the .mif file.)

And you can still generate a list of markers, just pick Hypertext.
Screen Shot 2019-01-19 at 10.50.43 AM.png

Same thing for removing them later, but be careful that you just remove the alert hypertext markers if you have others in the the book.

Screen Shot 2019-01-19 at 10.54.44 AM.png

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Donna:

FrameMaker alert markers convert to Acrobat sticky notes.

Screen Shot 2019-01-19 at 7.13.38 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-01-19 at 7.14.59 AM.png

Is that what you did, and is this what you were hoping for? Or did you use the Comment condition tag—which would simply show your comments inline when the tag is visible, and hide them when the tag is hidden?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb and thanks for the prompt reply.

The result that you attached is indeed what I was hoping for, but I used the Marker pod and selected the Comment type:

CommentMarkerVisual.png

which didn't give the desired result. So IIUC, the way to create sticky note comments in Acrobat is to use Hypertext (Command = "Alert").

That's a pity, as for a marker I can generate a list of markers to make sure I remove them all.

What's the common practice of removing all alerts?

Thanks again, Donna

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Donna:

The Hypertext marker box is just an updated version of the Marker box. In earliest versions they were combined.

So, you can just paste "Alert " (no quotes but you need that space) in front of the existing marker text. (Probably quicker if you edit the .mif file.)

And you can still generate a list of markers, just pick Hypertext.
Screen Shot 2019-01-19 at 10.50.43 AM.png

Same thing for removing them later, but be careful that you just remove the alert hypertext markers if you have others in the the book.

Screen Shot 2019-01-19 at 10.54.44 AM.png

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Donna,

I just left and was mulling over my answer. I better add that I *think* you can convert your existing comment markers to alert markers. I didn’t test it.

I’ll be back in a couple hours and will be happy to play with that little bit more. I will touch base a little later.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks muchly Barb, I tested it now, changing the marker type to hypertext and prefixing the test with 'alert [space]':

CommandToAlertTestFM.png

and it worked well:

CommentToAlertTest_PDF.png

Thank you for your support, kindest regards,

Donna

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great! Glad you are back on track, Donna.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines