• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What is the MIF Wash Utility? How do I use it?

Adobe Employee ,
Sep 17, 2019 Sep 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The MIF Wash utility is extremely handy in fixing corrupted FrameMaker files. Simply, run the MIF Wash utility on corrupted files and you should get your files back. Be it an individual file or an entire book, MIF Wash Utility can run on any number of files.

Here’s an article that provides the detailed information about using the MIF Wash Utility.

https://helpx.adobe.com/framemaker/kb/how-to-use-mifwash-utility-in-framemaker.html

TOPICS
FAQ , Formatting and numbering

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice to see that information has been added to the Help files, since you used to have to know where the DLL file was and that you needed to open the C file to find out how to install it. Be even nicer if it were installed by default. I've a Feature Request on that in the Tracker.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is usually used in when there are some file corruption or user need bulk conversion.

I feel it will just add an extra menu for the user who doesn't use it regularly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 18, 2019 Sep 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then perhaps it could be added in the Files > Utilities menu? We all hope to not have to use it, but when you need it, you need it, and most people aren't going to want to have to take the time to install it, and that's ASSUMING they know such a utility exists. Many don't, which is why I was pleased to see it's at least been added to the Help information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 24, 2019 Sep 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm either it's the latest update or this thing does not work at all for FM2019.

It used to work as far, as I remember with 2015. But with the latest version you do not get the Book Utility at all after following the steps to set up the FM Wash Utility.

Strange stuff that... especially if you try to fix other things that do suddenly not work since the latest update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lim,

I shouldn't be the case , I have used the utility in FM2019.

What error are you getting after registering utility?

Could you just show screenshot of your entry in maker.ini

-Pulkit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I do not get any error message, it just does not put in the utility.

Screeny attached.

Cheers,

X.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should read the green line: So insert the MIFwash-line on line 7 (before ScriptingSupport....)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok... trying to understand that... you mean MIWwas before Script.... ok i try that... however dunno what for.

Sorry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried that ... does not do a difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mean your png. The green line says: Scripting client should added to last....

like this:

MIFwash=Standard, MIF Wash, fminit\BookComponentMIFWash.dll, all

ScriptingSupport=Standard, ExtendScript client for FrameMaker, fminit\FrameMakerScriptingSupport.dll, all

Yours is :
ScriptingSupport=Standard, ExtendScript client for FrameMaker, fminit\FrameMakerScriptingSupport.dll, all

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

as said... i inserted the line now before the script so its now:

SVGAGM=Standard, Client for SVG Import, fminit\SVGAGMFilter.dll,all

;------Scripting client should added to last, so that its available for FrameMaker plugin------

But it does not make a difference at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I put mine at the very top of the APIClients section. It's the first entry after all the comments. You do have to have a book file open with the book selected in order for it to appear in the menu. See attached.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahhhh super that was very helpful! It aint the position that is the problem, but the fact that the thing is not a FM book but a structured document, meaning that the whole MIFwash is not relevant to fix the problem, as it seems. Seems its a bug within the pdf generation after all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That'd do it. If you're not working with .fm files, the MIFwash isn't going to help at all. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Dang... I was hoping this would fix it. Well then back to the bug assumption.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines