• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When will FrameMaker be available as an ARM64 application?

Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has Adobe committed to making FM ARM compatible?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

rest assured, that Adobe absolutely does have ARM64 on the radar. PhotoShop has already been ported to the ARM platform, and other apps will follow.

However, please understand that cannot make any official statement here.

Thanks for your understanding!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 30, 2023 Aug 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The reply above is now more than two years old. Is there any progress on this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is ARM the new Macintosh chip?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is, but FM won't run on it. However, Parallels Desktop has just released a new version that will run Windows 10 on a Mac. But it's the Windows for ARM-based systems like the Surface, so you have to run an old 32-bit version of FM or wait for an ARM version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not exactly, Chris. MS is working on it … Check the x64 emulation in preview for Windows 10 on ARM PCs to the Windows Insider Program. I had no time yet to check if it also runs FrameMaker 2020 64-bit, but chances are good 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes and no. ARM is just an architecture – and not even a new one (more info on Wikipedia).

Apple (and others) have invested in the ARM platform for many years. E.g., all iPhones and iPads are based on ARM.

With the latest MacBooks and iMacs Apple has moved away from Intel and the x86 (32 bit) / x64 (64-bit) platforms. At the center of interest is the "M1" processor – a highly integrated processor (SOC) based on ARM, also referred to as "Apple Silicon."

The bottom side is, that 32-bit apps don't run anymore, not even on Windows on ARM. Only 64-bit apps like FM 2019/2020 do and only through a "translator" which affects performance a little bit. Almost not noticeable on macOS, but – at least on the Microsoft "translator" beta – still noticeable – "issues" included.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FM has been natively ported to a surprisingly large number of Instruction Set Architectures and operating system pairings over time, even though it is now reduced to x86-64 Windows (and comprehensive sims thereof). My first use of FM was on MC68K/HP-UX.

I would have guessed that being offered as a cloud app would be the top priority for any Adobe app pondering a migration. And for FM, it's been done. I seem to recall running nearly-full FM as an Adobe demo in a Window over the internet in the 1990s.

But sure, ARM looms. It is now arguably the top ISA on the planet, due to being dominant in mobiles, and looking promising for both desktop and server.

Of course, an ARM implementation of any Adobe app raises the question of what OS? Just macOS, or also Android? Does Android even have the API support required?

No real answers expected at this time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is of concern to me, as well. I first worked on FrameMaker on Sun workstations, then on the Mac natively, and for the last decade or more in a VMWare Windows virtual machine running under MacOS. Since that solution looks like it's going away (a beta OS running "translated" code which itself runs in a VM does not seem like a recipe for success), I'm currently planning to convert to InDesign. But, if Adobe has actual plans for a wider deployment of FrameMaker, that might change the equation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have already discussed this internally 🙂

We will definitively look into support for Windows on ARM, not only because of Apple but also because of Microsoft Surface and other tables and new laptops running Windows on ARM.

Maybe @Vivek Kumar can leak a little bit more about a possible timeline …

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 18, 2023 May 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has there been any progress on this? Really this should have been done by now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You really need to make it clear whether you are talking about ARM64 on Mac or ARM64 on Windows.... not that it changes the fact that nobody who knows, can say.

On the Mac, ARM64 is the only future, but right now almost all Intel64 apps continue to run.

On the Windows, ARM64 might yet turn out to be a minor diversion, so many companies are doing nothing until the numbers are there. Meanwhile, don't buy an ARM64 Windows computer without checking all your apps come in either ARM64 or Intel 32 bit versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't mention ARM64 on Mac because I'm not an incurable optimist. My assumption is that Adobe may port FM to Windows ARM, in which case it may run on a Mac using a virtual machine app such as Parallels Desktop. In the meantime I'm looking at alternatives to FM (mainly LaTex and possibly Affinity Publisher).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 13, 2023 Jul 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are there any updates on this? ARM architectures have been out there for a couple of years now. At the moment, I am stuck with running FrameMaker in a Windows CloudPC which is an expensive way to keep using an already expensive product. When can we expect a FrameMaker ARM version? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines