• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is my content shifting when I save as PDF?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2019 Apr 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed that the content in one of my chapters is shifting when I save the .book as a PDF. In FM, Section 21.18 appears on page 21-80 (and this is what is reflected in the TOC as well). However, when I PDF the book, the content in Chapter 21 shifts, and Section 21.18 appears on page 21-79 of the PDF. How is this happening, and how can I stop it?? I am using FM 2015 and the "save as PDF" method.

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 23, 2019 Apr 23, 2019

Hi,

What's your printer? Can you switch to Adobe PDF in File | Print Setup?

Or use it as your default printer.

Possibly the font which is used by Save As PDF is slightly different than the fonts of your current default printer.

Then small differences might cause a different line break and then a different page break.

Matt Sullivan had written some infos here:

https://techcommtools.com/framemaker-pdf-tips-and-tricks/

Maybe this helps.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

What's your printer? Can you switch to Adobe PDF in File | Print Setup?

Or use it as your default printer.

Possibly the font which is used by Save As PDF is slightly different than the fonts of your current default printer.

Then small differences might cause a different line break and then a different page break.

Matt Sullivan had written some infos here:

https://techcommtools.com/framemaker-pdf-tips-and-tricks/

Maybe this helps.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I also find that printing to a PS (or PRN) file is faster and gives me more feedback than the Save as PDF method.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your default printer in FM set to the Adobe PDF printer instance? If it's not, your layout in FM might not match what will be produced when a PDF is created. Are you all patched up? Are you getting the same effect if you Print to AdobePDF printer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both! I changed the printer selection for this book to the Adobe PDF printer, and it worked. Is there a way for Adobe PDF to be the default printer just for FM documents? Or can I make this a default for each of our FM .books? I really appreciate the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes there's the SetPrint plug-in that works really well for keeping the default printer set to the AdobePDF instance inside FM without  disturbing your "real" Windows default printer in your other apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Yes, you can set Adobe PDF as the default printer with this dll:

http://www.sundorne.com/FrameMaker/Freeware/setPrint.htm

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again - many thanks! I will install the plugin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines