• Global community
    • Language:
      • Deutsch
      • English
      • Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers

Xliff and Translation is not reliable

Community Expert ,
Apr 25, 2022 Apr 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a lot of problems using Translation and export/import XLIFF.

 

I am working with structured documents running FrameMaker 2020 16.0.4.1062 on Win10.

The documents look ok. Valid structure. All cross references ok. All insets ok. All fonts ok. Nothing suggesting that this is somehow a corrupt document.

When I export to XLIFF I get a "clean" conversion report with no errors. So IMPORTING the XLIFF I have just exported ought to work painlessly.

Only it doesn't. FrameMaker crashes while importing into the exact same FrameMaker file the exact same XLIFF  I have just exported.

And this time theres lot and lots of errors in the conversion report. Leaving me wonder about the reliablity of the first export report. 

Has anybody any experience to share regarding this feature?

Views

90

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you had any improvement?
We haven't tried reimporting, but when we get an XLIFF file back from our translation service we cannot import it. Have you contacted support? Did they answer?
I contacted support at tcssup@adobe.com and have not heard anything back yet.
I'll try raising an issue in this forum.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 20, 2022 Oct 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @Rex26678658kkid 

Yes we did eventually make it work. It turned out to be a combination of more issues.

1: Crossreferences need to be completely up to date and working.

2: We turned off one or both of  "Embed skeleton to XLIFF" and "Apply XLIFF Segmentation Rules" when we did the export. 

3: We had great help from Markus Wiedenmaier who has developed the XLIFF feature.

I hope you do manage to fix the problems. Generally my experience is that features like the html conversion and also XLIFF very much relies upon 100% proper formatting. Overides etc may produce unexpected results and the error messages are mostly meaningless.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines