Highlighted

A kind of wrapper for FM-Scripts

Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @ all! 

First of all, I really appreciate the help one can get in this community. I may have only posted two issues so far but I received fast and reliable feedback - So thanks! 

Now my question of today:

I wrote a script to modify some things in a FrameMaker Document. My next goal would be to kind of "automate the automation". So I thought about if it is possible in any way to use Powershell or CMD to perform the following:

1. Open FrameMaker

2. Specify a source of FM-Files (a directory with e.g. 5 .fm files)

3. Iterate through the directory and open all the .fm files in FM

4. Run a jsx script for ALL of the files

5. save all files and close FM

I don't know if this would be maybe even possible with just an jsx script to call that from the command line and it performs all the tasks above...

Thanks in advance for your help!

Greetings

Yannick

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

A kind of wrapper for FM-Scripts

Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @ all! 

First of all, I really appreciate the help one can get in this community. I may have only posted two issues so far but I received fast and reliable feedback - So thanks! 

Now my question of today:

I wrote a script to modify some things in a FrameMaker Document. My next goal would be to kind of "automate the automation". So I thought about if it is possible in any way to use Powershell or CMD to perform the following:

1. Open FrameMaker

2. Specify a source of FM-Files (a directory with e.g. 5 .fm files)

3. Iterate through the directory and open all the .fm files in FM

4. Run a jsx script for ALL of the files

5. save all files and close FM

I don't know if this would be maybe even possible with just an jsx script to call that from the command line and it performs all the tasks above...

Thanks in advance for your help!

Greetings

Yannick

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 26, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Yannick,

for this kind of automatization you would need a license of FrameMaker Publishing Server. Drop us a line at techcomm@adobe.com and we will be happy to walk you through the details and steps.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 26, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stefan,

I am confused now. So what do I need that license for? If the tasks are doable within FM and/ or command line, why do I need a seperate license? I am sorry, I just don't get it right now, maybe you could enlighten me ^^ 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 28, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stefan,

Are you saying that Asynchronous FDK Client is no longer supported for the desktop FrameMaker license? If so is this documented anywhere. The FDK PROGRAMMER’S GUIDE Adobe FrameMaker (2019 release) still has a reference to using async clients, which would be a possible solution for Yannick.

Jon

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 02, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not about what you can or could do technically, but about what is covered by the software license you have. The answer to your question can be found in the Software License Agreement that comes with the desktop version of FrameMaker, section 2.1.7 Server Use:

2.1.7.2 For clarification and without limitation, the foregoing does not permit Customer to install or access (either directly or through commands, data, or instructions) the Software:
(a) from or to a Computer not part of Customer’s Internal Network;
(b) for enabling web hosted workgroups or web hosted services available to the public;
(c) by any individual or entity to use, download, copy, or otherwise benefit from the functionality of the Software unless licensed to do so by Adobe;
(d) as a component of a system, workflow or service accessible by more than the Permitted Number of users; or
(e) for operations not initiated by an individual user (e.g., automated server processing).

The License can be found in <install-dir>\Adobe FrameMaker 2020\Legal\<language>\license.html

From the process you had described in your post, you would run FrameMaker in an automated way with a remote, automated execution including starting the software automatically, processing files, and closing FrameMaker. That is a completely different szenario than executing a Script as a user from within the software.

So, in a nutshell, this kind of remote execution of FrameMaker is not covered by the FrameMaker desktop license, and doing so would violate the Software Licenses Agreement.

For this kind of automation you will need to subscribe to the FrameMaker Publishing Server.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 03, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The short answer is, Yes, all of this is possible with ExtendScript and FrameMaker. Stefan is referring mainly to the licensing issue and I will leave that discussion up to him.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 26, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@MeanGuy - I'm sure @Stefan-Gentz will explain it better, but basically the idea is that your regular copy of FM has licensing that doesn't permit you to run it (legally) in the way you describe; for doing that, you need to go the route of using the Publishing Server.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 28, 2020 0
Enthusiast ,
Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the best way would be for you:

1. Open FrameMaker manually

2. Specify a source of FM-Files (a directory with e.g. 5 .fm files) - *

3. Iterate through the directory and open all the .fm files in FM - *

4. Run a jsx script for ALL of the files - *

5. save all files - *

6.close FM manually

*you can do this with ExtendScript

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 03, 2020 0