Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

About relative paths in FM11

Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2018 Feb 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

in these last years I worked for a client with some files with images linked like something like:

..\..\..\..\Folder1\Folder2\image.jpg

The client never gives us images, but when he receives back his files the links work good and the files find their images without any other kinf of job.

Last time I worked not on a lan, but on my C: drive.

Giving bak the files to the client he found that links were corrupted.

The links look like:

..\..\..\Folder1\Folder2\image.jpg

(a "..\" was lost)

I did some test working with files on the lan and in local drive, and found that it happens: working on local drive files loose a part of the path.

Does anybody has experience of that?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 27, 2018 Feb 27, 2018

The reason is not the local drive, but the folder structure and nesting depth of folders. So, probably you had fewer folders between the root of your local drive and the folder which hosts the FrameMaker files. When searching for graphics on your LAN drive, FM could "go up" four levels and then "go down" into \Folder1\Folder2\. On your local drive FM could "go up" three folder levels before it reached the root of the drive.

If you put the FM file one folder "deeper" it will work again.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reason is not the local drive, but the folder structure and nesting depth of folders. So, probably you had fewer folders between the root of your local drive and the folder which hosts the FrameMaker files. When searching for graphics on your LAN drive, FM could "go up" four levels and then "go down" into \Folder1\Folder2\. On your local drive FM could "go up" three folder levels before it reached the root of the drive.

If you put the FM file one folder "deeper" it will work again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Stefano,

it works (of course...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2018 Jun 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Stefan,

I having a similar FM relative referencing issue. The ABSOLUTE reference works on an external linked .pdf,

message URL file://///XXX/YYY/BDMS/images/BDMS_CS_working.pdf

However, I can't get a RELATIVE reference to work on the network mapped drive.  ?

message URL file://///../../../images/BDMS_CS_working.pdf

does not work.

Your comments/solutions are appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2018 Jun 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Windows environment:

Framemaker 14.0.3.500 - Technical Communication Suite 2017:

I had a need to link externally from my final xxxxx.pdf source to an external pdf, located in the images directory. I was able to find a Relative command and Syntax in FM Marker (Hypertext) that WORKED. I tested this on a windows network mapped drive and locally (C:).

Relative command and Syntax

message openfile ../images/TDTD_TTS_Rev-Working.pdf

File structure:

/sourcedirectrory/xxxxx.fm

/sourcedirectrory/xxxxx.pdf

/images/TDTD_TTS_Rev-Working.pdf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 01, 2018 Mar 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are trying to see if we could have an absolute path instead of relative path for the next release. With an absolute path, it would be much easier to manager and copy paste same onto windows explorer.

thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 02, 2018 Jun 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amitoj  schrieb

We are trying to see if we could have an absolute path instead of relative path for the next release. With an absolute path, it would be much easier to manager and copy paste same onto windows explorer.

thanks,

Oh no. Please don't. Never ever. This would immediately ruin perfectly working translation management for thousands of documents in dozens of languages and take me to what I absolutely *hate* on Indesign. Always referring to the wrong image folders when working on a newly translated version of a document. The relative path feature is one of the absolute highlights and essential functions of FrameMaker which needs to be maintained.

Bernd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines