• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

accessibility, alt text and so on

Advisor ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Surfacing again after a few miserable days trying to bring consistency (just at layout level – there are limits!) to a set of Word files … and a reference I came across prompted me to try out the Accessibility report; it's also a current concern here, as we realise our products and their documentation need to be accessible to an increasing number of blind and partially-sighted users.

Two questions, then:

• what's the quickest way of getting some sort of accessibility report on a .book and its components? I've seen a 'Create accessible .pdf' option in Acrobat, but that's leaving it a bit late …
  • starting with the basics, is there a way of adding alt text to referenced images in FM? I'm still on FM2012

Thanks in advance for any ideas on this.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

aha! farther experimentation reveals the route Special > Anchored frame > Object attributes … so thanks for the pointer, which got me started.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Oct 26, 2017 Oct 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AFAIK, there's no direct "Accessibility" checking in FM - it all gets done at the PDF end.

There are some guidelines for Accessibility that may answer your other question here:

Adobe FrameMaker accessibility

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Oct 26, 2017 Oct 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh dear, and that looked so promising :-} a link from Adobe FrameMaker accessibility straight to Adding alternate text to images

Unfortunately, the information [below, right] appears to be from a previous version of FrameMaker. There's no way I can justify the workload if conversion to Structured FM is now the way to access these attributes. What would you advise?

fm12_frameProperties.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hadn't noticed, but the Object Attributes option has moved to the Anchored Frame pod.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

… which I don't seem to have, at least not if I try to access it from View > Pods :-{

frameAttributes.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 31, 2017 Oct 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, the Anchored Frame pod is in different locations in Fm 2015 and Fm 2017. In Fm 2017 it is under the Insert menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

aha! farther experimentation reveals the route Special > Anchored frame > Object attributes … so thanks for the pointer, which got me started.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines