Highlighted

Add Entry to A TOC Book File

Participant ,
Dec 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

Apologies, in advance, for the "noob" nature of this question.

I created a standalone List of Figures and List of Tables for a book that I am updating. These two lists did not exist before, so I auto-generated them from the book file. How do I add the LoF and LoT entries to the pre-existing TOC? Is it a manual process using cross-refences?

Sorry - I tried to find this answer in the forums (and I'm sure it's there, somewhere) and online but failed miserably.

TOPICS
Formatting and numbering

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Add Entry to A TOC Book File

Participant ,
Dec 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

Apologies, in advance, for the "noob" nature of this question.

I created a standalone List of Figures and List of Tables for a book that I am updating. These two lists did not exist before, so I auto-generated them from the book file. How do I add the LoF and LoT entries to the pre-existing TOC? Is it a manual process using cross-refences?

Sorry - I tried to find this answer in the forums (and I'm sure it's there, somewhere) and online but failed miserably.

TOPICS
Formatting and numbering

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 13, 2019 0
Participant ,
Dec 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"References"...not "refences." For shame.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 13, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TW,

In a typical FrameMaker book, the TOC and any LOF and LOT are maintained in separate files. There is no need to copy LOF and LOT entries into the TOC. One of the strengths of this model is that cross-references are not needed. You set up the generated files by specifying which paragraph formats (or elements in a structured environment) should produce entries and the generated files are populated each time you update the book. If you used cross-references, you would have to remember to add new entries for new figures and tables and delete old entries when you delete a figure or table.

--Lynne

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 13, 2019 1
Participant ,
Dec 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Lynne

Thanks for the response! I specified the paragraph format/tag for the new entries and tried to auto-regenerate the TOC, but the entries are still not appearing, so I'm not sure what is going on.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 16, 2019 0
Dec 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

If you want to add the LoF and LoT to the ToC file, then I suggest this:

Create a LoF and a LoF in your book (Insert | List of Figures/Tables). Move the files to end of the book.

Then update your book and format the LoF and LoT, so that they look as you want.

Right click these files and click Exclude to exclude them from a PDF.

Open your ToC and import the LoF and LoT as text insets.

Then you have everything in a single file.

Best regards

Winfried

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 15, 2019 0
Participant ,
Dec 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Winfried

That didn't quite work either. The entry is still not appearing in the TOC. I'm sure I'm missing a step, but I cannot, for the life of me, figure it out.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 16, 2019 0
Participant ,
Dec 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry...I replied prematurely.

To insert a text inset, I select Pods\Insets, right? Unfortunately, the only referenced file I see is an image that I am importing, not the LoF or LoT. I know I'm doing something wrong...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 16, 2019 0
Dec 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

To insert a text inset in another file, put the insertion mark where the text inset should be.

In your case probably at the end of the ToC.

Then click File | Import | File. Select the LoF or LoT, set some details (e.g. Import By Reference, Retain Source's Formatting).

Then you must update the book again, so that the additional pages of your LoF and LoT are considered.

That's it.

Best regards

Winfried

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 16, 2019 0
Participant ,
Dec 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll just recreate the TOC from scratch. Hopefully, that will work. Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 16, 2019 0
Dec 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you've already done a lot of formatting work on the existing attempts, rename them. After auto-creating the new TOC/LOF/LOM, import formats from the draft files, or just paste in the Body/Master/Ref page content needed.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 17, 2019 0