Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adding A Counter to the Footer

Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2016 May 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi gang,

I've got a simple question that is oddly vexing.  I have some page inserts that need to have a "dot number" added to the page number, e.g., 1-1.1, 1-1.2, 1-1.3, etc.  I currently use the <$chapnum>-<$curpgnum> for page number; I just need to add .1, .2,  etc, to the end.  There has to be a simple variable for this, right?  If not, how do I create a variable that does it?

Thanks in advance,

-terry-

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 04, 2016 May 04, 2016

Hi Orca,

The use of Point pages is described on my website.

One major drawback is that the left/right margins are violated if an odd number of pages will be inserted into the frozen layout. Besides that I have not found any problems - even in FM-13.0.3.495 ....

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you doing this because you need to lock down the numbering, but then any added pages pick up the point numbering?

There is an old feature (unsupported as far as I know at this point) that's still lurking in Fm 2015 call point pages that handled this. But I know there are issues with the feature so I don't think it's worth pursuing. That said, I've not seen a variable available in any version—including 2015—that can do this for you. It would be a good request for the Feature Request/Bug Report Form .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's correct--the change pages get the point numbering so the original number sequence isn't changed.

No variables, eh?  Is there a workaround (other than the problematic Point Pages)?

-terry-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, no.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 04, 2016 May 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Orca,

The use of Point pages is described on my website.

One major drawback is that the left/right margins are violated if an odd number of pages will be inserted into the frozen layout. Besides that I have not found any problems - even in FM-13.0.3.495 ....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2016 May 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG.  That worked beautifully.  One more question: What if I need to start the numbering at something other than .1?  I have insertion pages marked .6, .9, .3, etc.  Please tell me there's an answer.

I bow before your superior Framemaker skills, sir.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 25, 2016 May 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry for late answer - was offline for some time...

What do you mean with marked in your question " I have insertion pages marked .6, .9, .3, etc"?

Unfortunately there is no possibility (one of the shortcoming of this feature) to set the intial page number of the point pages. So if there are page 17, 18, 19, 20 and you freeze paginaten, than insert an unconnected page after page 18 it gets the number 18.1 When insering more than one page text here another page 18.2 will appear. Then after inserting an unconnected page after page 19 this one will get number 19.1 and if text extends more pages 19.2, 19.3 and so on may appear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines