Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adding Pages FM file

Contributor ,
Jan 05, 2017 Jan 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

A novice learning FM 2015, so far I have created a 171 page FM (not Book) file with several imported images as illustrations. I've mainly used a default right page master, but when I have added images (for example, PDF's) that were same size as a page (8.5X11), and didn't want to cover the default right master's added header/footer with that image, used second master that is blank.

When I carriage returned (hit Enter) to add a new page in the same flow (before a page break) in order to add a new image or new text, other previously imported images added to other pages have moved down by the number of pages added and are hiding the text on another page. Also probably added a few disconnected pages, not in a flow to try to prevent this problem.

Beginner's mistakes.

Now, left with this messy FM file, I find that I need to continue to add new pages, new images, a cover page, etc. Each time I try to add,  I have the above problems. Ugh!

So, I need to try to fix this FM file, so that all flows and I can add new pages and new images without ruining the flow, without images moving to cover wrong pages, etc.

Would welcome any suggestions on how to fix this, so hopefully I can "get back on track" with a clean, flowing manuscript.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 05, 2017 Jan 05, 2017
So, I need to try to fix this FM file, so that all flows and I can add new pages and new images without ruining the flow, without images moving to cover wrong pages, etc.

The only way I know to fix this after the fact is to copy the text from the disconnected pages and paste it into the correct location in Flow A, and then delete those disconnected pages. There's nothing automatic about it, but it's necessary, as you have learned the hard way.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you inserting the graphics into your document? Are you creating anchored frames for the graphics to maintain their relative location in the content?

In using FM, you should not think of inserting pages, but rather inserting content into your flow. FM will automatically adjust (when you tell it to apply the master page mapping) and add page layouts. You can use the Master Page Mapping tables to define and automatically apply unique master pages to specific paragraph formats, e.g. your single page PDFs that you used the blank master on.

There are very few reasons to add a Disconnected page in FM, so until you become quite proficient in using FM and have a good reason to, do not use that option.

You also should really consider breaking the document down into component files (Cover, TOC, chapters, appendices, index, etc.) and then use the Book file to have these all behave as a single entity.

You might want to consider getting Matt Sullivan's FM Reference book on creating and editing content in FM. See:

http://www.techcommtools.com/framemaker-reference-book/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way I know to fix this after the fact is to copy the text from the disconnected pages and paste it into the correct location in Flow A, and then delete those disconnected pages. There's nothing automatic about it, but it's necessary, as you have learned the hard way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 06, 2017 Jan 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Arnis, Barb,

Thank you for these suggestions. I think I will need to redo some or all of the guide, get it into better format.

Thank you again for these suggestions. Steep learning curve for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a tough program to teach yourself. As a career Fm trainer, I highly recommend taking time out for learning, whether that means working through a book, watching Lynda.com videos or taking a class. In the long run, it will be a tremendous timesaver. In the meantime, we are here to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Barb.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Part of my difficulty was importing 8.5 X 11 PDF's using import>File. The master page is 8.5 X 11, so if I imported by placing the insertion point within the smaller than 8.5 X 11 text frame, it shrunk the PDF so some of it was cut off. If I placed the PDF on a new master that was blank, it imported the entire 8.5 X 11 PDF.

I am wondering if I can place a text frame on the new blank master that is 8.5 X 11, which would allow me to place the insertion point in the text frame and  hopefully allow importing of the entire PDF? Can try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you crop off the margins on the PDF so that it fits within the image area of the Fm template frame? You can crop multiple pages at one time in Adobe Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a new master page with a graphics frame 8.5 X 11. Applied this master to 5 pages that have imported PDF's. Seems to have worked, except as before I still think the flow is not set up correctly because of page breaks I manually added. When I did the above, other items displaced, had to be reset, blank pages removed.

BTW, I'm far from "complaining" about this trial and error approach since I learn best hands-on coupled with reading best practices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMHO, you want everything in the main flow—Flow A—so that when you edit text at the beginning of the document, everything reflows as necessary. If it were me, I'd crop the PDFs down the just the image area, and add them to the text in Flow A in anchored frames.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Much thanks, Barb.

OK: I changed, re-did the entire guide in a single flow, re-imported all images into text frames, including cutting down size of PDF's to fit properly (cropping didn't seem to be an option in Acrobat for an interactive PDF created in LiveCycle Designer. Resized source PDF in that application.) But, it appears to be in much better format.

Test will be when I add new pages, images, and hopefully everything remains flowing.

Then on to building a book with this document as a component, allowing me to add a cover, separate TOC, etc.

Again, thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines