• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

All of a sudden, can't PDF

New Here ,
Sep 12, 2011 Sep 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HELP - I have PDF'd framemaker files for years.  All of a sudden, I follow the same process, it goes thru the steps as it normall does, but the postscrip, log and pdf file generated is EMPTY.  I get a message that there is no data availalbe.  Any sugestions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the message I ag getting.  Does anyone know how to fix this?
\Adobe\Adobe PDF\Settings\High Quality Print.joboptions
%%[ Warning: Empty job. No PDF file produced. ] %%
Distill Time: 00 Hour(s) : 00 Minute(s) : 00.422 Second(s)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rhonda, here are some troubleshooting steps:

1. reboot

2. look at your Windows > Printers, be sure that the PDF printer is set to be your default printer. The name of the printer is usually something like "Adobe PDF"

3. open a blank FM document. Type in a few words. Try to make a PDF of it.

If you get past #3 successfully then the problem could be something odd with your source file, perhaps a graphic that somehow got mangled or something like that. If you can identify what you recently changed, or you can go back to a previously saved version that you know has worked, then load that file and try to make a PDF. If that works then it's almost certainly something that is clobbered in your current file.

btw, the error message that you showed isn't enough to diagnose any specific problem, unfortunately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2011 Sep 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had exactly the same problem.  I finally realized it was the new folder I had created.  When I saved the PDF file to a different folder, it worked just as usual.  So try saving to a different folder and see if that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any the chance the file name or file path contains a comma?

Windows Frame fails to print if the path contains a comma.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, no commas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rhonda,

Just another shot in the dark (JASITD): FrameMaker, and especially with its printing process, may get problems if the temp folder of your machine is too full.

In Windows Explorer enter %tmp% into the address bar and your are there. You may savely delete all files from yesterday and older.

- Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 27, 2017 Dec 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using FM 12.0.4 and Acrobat Pro 11.0.23, and used these tools to publish over 70 PDFs in September for a major release.

Today, using the same FM files, I have the same issue as the OP, and see the same message in the Distiller.

This is what I tried:

1. Tried to print to the Adobe PDF printer, and tried to Save As PDF.

2. Tried doing both methods from folders on a server or from folders on my local HD.

3. Tried using existing and new folders, for both source files and output files.

4. Deleted 12,000+ files from the %temp% folder.

5. Tried creating a PDF from two different books.

6. No illegal characters are in the file names. In fact, I created PDF from these files in September the way they are.

7. Cannot create a PDF of a single chapter of the books I maintain.

8. I have rebooted.

9. I made sure I took all Adobe Acrobat Pro updates.

I still cannot create a PDF from FrameMaker files. I can, however, create PDFs from Word, Outlook, etc.

On the PDF Setup window, I have nothing selected on the Tags and Links tabs. On the Settings tab, I use all default values. On the Bookmarks tab, and selected Generate PDF Bookmarks, and have Heading 1, 2, and 3 in Include Paragraphs. I have used all of these same settings previously with no issues.

I would welcome any ideas. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check out the steps here to clear out common problems, and then let me know if you still have problems.

http://www.techcommtools.com/framemaker-pdf-tips-and-tricks/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had the same problem and found four culprits.

- Long paths. FrameMaker has difficulty with handling long filepaths when generating pdf's

- File links from different servers where network speed may differ

- png files in 24 bit

- Temp file space. Generating a large pdf creates a large temp file, and you need to make sure there is room for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting...the 24-bit PNG and temp file space are things I hadn't experienced myself. I'll add them to my list!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I found another forum discussion where someone suggested the following, and it worked.

Blank Fields Adobe PDF Conversion Seetings

Navigate here and copy all files:

C > Program Files (x86) > Adobe > Acrobat 11.0 > Acrobat > Settings

Paste them here:

C > Users > [user name] > AppData > Roaming > Adobe > Adobe PDF > Settings

The top three drop-down lists on the Adobe PDF Document Properties window were empty. The steps above put selections in the top list (Default Settings). The next two are still empty, but I can create PDFs again.

I would like to know how those files suddenly disappeared. I can assure you that I do not go spelunking in the Program Files (x86) folder and randomly delete files.

Thank you to those who offered suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You might have found that doing a Repair to your Acrobat Pro settings might have produced the same result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines