Highlighted

Any new wisdom in dealing with conditional text crashing?

Explorer ,
Aug 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MIF-washing, rebooting, uninstalling/reinstalling are not helping with this book. Our FM12 installation is patched with the latest. I haven't seen any other 'fixes' from Adobe.

I've used FM off and on since 1996 and have championed it everywhere, but I'm seriously considering recommending another authoring tool.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Any new wisdom in dealing with conditional text crashing?

Explorer ,
Aug 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MIF-washing, rebooting, uninstalling/reinstalling are not helping with this book. Our FM12 installation is patched with the latest. I haven't seen any other 'fixes' from Adobe.

I've used FM off and on since 1996 and have championed it everywhere, but I'm seriously considering recommending another authoring tool.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 25, 2015 0
Advisor ,
Aug 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tell us a bit more about what's happening, before you revert to pencil and paper …

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 25, 2015 0
Explorer ,
Aug 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is something I haven't seen before. If I just select some text that's tagged with a condition, the file crashes. This happens in both the .fm and .mif files.

Previously it would crash when trying to create, update, or apply a condition.

Someone recommended saving it back to FM11, so I'm going to try that. I'll try anything at this point!

I'm sure these files are damaged. They started in FM, were converted to Word, and now they're back in FM. If they're not damaged, they're certainly confused.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 26, 2015 0
Advisor ,
Aug 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They started in FM, were converted to Word, and now they're back in FM …

now why do I feel the middle of that phrase explains everything :-}

You could, perhaps, depending on how much text/how many instances you're dealing with:

1. change the conditional settings so they're visible
  2. print a reference copy
  3. delete the conditions (in FM, to make sure all the flags are removed as well)
  4. make some new conditions strictly under your own control and see whether these behave better

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 26, 2015 0