Highlighted

Anyone used source control on the structured apps files?

Explorer ,
Apr 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I maintain a structured app for Framemaker and at the moment I have the various definition files (maker.ini, the EDD, structapps.fm and our DTD, XSD and XSL files) in a folder somewhere which is under source control. Currently whenever I make changes I edit the files in my checkout, copy them to Program FIles\Adobe\FrameMaker 2019\..., test, commit my local copy to the repository, email my colleagues to update their checkout and then tell them to follow a checklist copying the files from their local copy into the appropriate locations under Program Files.

There are too many ways this can go wrong, so I wonder if it is possible to put the Program Files\Adobe\FrameMaker 2019 folder directly (and partially) under source control so that my colleagues can update the application in a single step. Has anybody else tried this? Anything I should know, or are there any reasons why this would be a bad idea?

cheers

T

TOPICS
Structured

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Anyone used source control on the structured apps files?

Explorer ,
Apr 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I maintain a structured app for Framemaker and at the moment I have the various definition files (maker.ini, the EDD, structapps.fm and our DTD, XSD and XSL files) in a folder somewhere which is under source control. Currently whenever I make changes I edit the files in my checkout, copy them to Program FIles\Adobe\FrameMaker 2019\..., test, commit my local copy to the repository, email my colleagues to update their checkout and then tell them to follow a checklist copying the files from their local copy into the appropriate locations under Program Files.

There are too many ways this can go wrong, so I wonder if it is possible to put the Program Files\Adobe\FrameMaker 2019 folder directly (and partially) under source control so that my colleagues can update the application in a single step. Has anybody else tried this? Anything I should know, or are there any reasons why this would be a bad idea?

cheers

T

TOPICS
Structured

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 25, 2019 0

Have something to add?