• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

apply custom master page to empty page automatically ?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2016 Dec 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When a empty page is inserted automatically by set “Pagination” in Framemaker, how to set to make a custom master page will be applied to the Empty Page just created?

Thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Format > Page Layout > Apply Master Pages (the automatic way to assign master pages) ties a master page to a paragraph tag. The empty facing page inserted by FrameMaker doesn't have a paragraph tag on it, so there is no way to automatically assign the master page. I explain this to my clients in advance, and then manually assign a blank left where needed during the final round of edits.

I see references elsewhere to a plug in that could do this for you from Silicon Prairie Software - FrameMaker Plug-ins​, but I'm not seeing it spelled out in the description on the Silicon Prairie site. It might be worth the inquiry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: The empty facing page inserted by FrameMaker doesn't have a paragraph tag on it, so there is no way to automatically assign the master page.

Ah, but there is, in an upside-down sort of way:
See thread: "Page intentionally left blank."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, but then there's a paragraph tag on the page.  I (perhaps foolishly) assumed that the OP wanted a blank page since the post didn't mention "Page intentionally left blank".

You know what they say about assuming...

richards48676720

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AMP applies Master Pages based on tags found in the the main flow on each page.

I've used this to map specific page layouts by making sure that the apparently empty page actually had content - usually an empty tag of format "Blank", with an autonumber of "Blank: " and a text color set to invisible at render in Color Views. That only works for consciously intentional blank pages.

Most people assume that this all means:
no tags = no AMP

But another way to think of it is that AMP does handle empty pages - it applies MPs "Left" or "Right" to pages with no main flow content. As long as you don't need "Left" or "Right" for pages with content, it's an opportunity.

That's either a benefit or a hazard. If it's a benefit, it's not my problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2016 Dec 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear BarbBinder,Bob Niland ,

Thank your help,but I try the way in thread: "Page intentionally left blank.", my problem still can't be solved。

I follow these steps:

This is how I do it now:

How to add This page intentionally left blank.

1.       Open the reference page in the chapter you want to add this.

2.       Click Special>Add Reference Page.

3.       Click the graphics tool.

4.       Draw a page-sized frame in the blank Reference page. Name the frame “blank page.”

5.       Draw a text box where you want the ‘this page intentionally left blank’ to appear and type the words.

6.       Create a paragraph tag called “intentionally blank.” Format the text how you want it (Calibri, 14 pt, centered, italics) and click the Advanced Tab. Click the drop-down menu Below Pgf and select the frame name “blank page.”

7.       Click View Body Pages.

8.       Click Format>Page Layout>Apply Master Pages

9.       Click View>Reference Pages

10.   Go to the table called Unstructured masterPage Maps.

11.   Type Body|leave blank|Left

12.   Click View>Body Pages.

13.   Click the bottom of the page before the blank page.

14.   Click Catalog and change the tag to “intentionally blank.”

15.   Repeat on each different type of chapter and import formats to like chapters.

My publication is an structure data converted from dita data,  and after transforming some FrameMaker file will add empty page by pagination setting in advance .  Actually,  I need nothing else except "this page intentionally left blank" appear on the empty page, when it is inert by framemaker , to reduce the amount of manual work. But now each time the master page LEFT will be used firstly. And I try the way above it seemed can't solved my problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hopefully, Bob Niland (Error 7103) can help you troubleshoot this. As I said initially, I choose to explain the empty pages to my clients in advance so that they can ignore it during the proofing cycles, and then manually assign the blank left where needed during the final round of edits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See this new reply on the older thread: Re: "Page intentionally left blank."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2016 Dec 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply, I learned a great deal from  the creative way you have told me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much, I have tried the  plug-in of Silicon Prairie Software ​​​ that you have mentioned, i think it is what I looking for. And Steve of that company is a very kind people, he modified the pulg-in for me.

Thanks for your help again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Wow! That's great to hear. Thanks for coming back to let us know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines