• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Applying formatting to an index

Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2018 Aug 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using structured Framemaker and have created an index. I want to format this index so it doesn't use the standard Times New Roman font but I can't see how. I have another index from another document that has the formatting that I want. I copied this index into my project and renamed it, but when I do Edit - Update book, it does not update the index with my index markers (that the index generated with the default Times New Roman text sees), which I thought it would. The text just stays the same.

I have tried looking on the help but can't see how to apply formatting to my index. This is the first index I've created from scratch in FrameMaker, the others I've inherited and just update when I update the book.

Can anyone help me please?

TOPICS
Structured

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 29, 2018 Aug 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to create paragraph styles for the index entries (Level1IX, Level2IX etc). The generated files are sort of the black sheep of a book, they are treated slightly differently to standard book files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 30, 2018 Aug 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When you create any generated file, the setup info and paragraph formats are created on special reference pages in the generated file.

With the generated index open switch to the reference pages and look for the page named 'IX'. That page will include this type of content:

IX.PNG

To change the formatting of the index you need to edit the paragraph format for the relevant paragraphs. In the example above (taken from the User Guide sample book) you can see that the GroupTitlesIX paragraphs are formatted in Blue MyriadPro 24pt and occupy the side head area. Other formatted paragraphs are Level1IX and Level2IX which are both formatted with MyriadPro 12pt. The level 2 entry is given a small indent.

Important:

This reference page is created in the generated Index file, but does not yet exist in the template that was used to create the book. That means if you create another book based on the same template and generate an index, it will not be formatted as you wish. To avoid this problem import the reference pages from the Index file into the template, or if you don't have a template file, import it into all of the files in the current book. The same applies for each table of contents, list of figures and any other generated file that you use.

The first time that you create an Index or other generated file in a new book, the formatting information is taken from the first file in the book.

~ Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines