• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Arabic and English text formatting issues

Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2019 Apr 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working in a 2019 Structured Framemaker book with Arabic and English text. The book and text are set to read right-to-left for Arabic, however, I need to make the Registered trademark symbol appear on the right side of the English Brand names for which I am unable. Are there any tips and tricks out there?arabic_text.PNG

TOPICS
Formatting and numbering

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 04, 2019 Apr 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to place a so-called Unicode Control Characters  before and after the whole string: A "Right-To-Left Mark" (RLM) before Apple, and a "Left-to-Right Mark" after the ©.

So to say, like this: [RTM]Apple CarPlay©[LTR]

So, for this:

يعد استخدام Apple CarPlay© ممتعًا.

Enter the marks like this:

يعد استخدام [RLM]Apple CarPlay©[LRM] ممتعًا.

To get this result:

يعد استخدام ‏Apple CarPlay©‎ ممتعًا.

You can insert the markers in the text with the Direction Toolbar (View > Toolbars > Direction Toolbar).

You can also insert Unicode Control Characters in the Find/Change dialog by right-clicking in the text fields.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 05, 2019 Apr 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Stefan,

the terms "before" and "after" are misleading in this context, not following the logical cursor movement in that text. If you put a right-to-left mark before "Apple" (which is left of the "A"), you'll get the opposite of what you want. Actually the whole paragraph is RTL, just "Apple©" should appear LTR, and then the text should continue in RTL.

In my experience just using the plain RTL/LTR markers doesn't work reliably in the context of latin text within arabic paragraphs. I've had best success when using the "left-to-right embedding" and the "previous/original writing direction" markers for that. To be precise:

1. after the last arabic word, press the cursor button once to have the cursor directly left of the "A"
  2. enter the "left-to-right embedding" marker. This will change the order of all following text, but that doesn't matter yet.
  3. using the cursor button, step through the whole word "Apple©", until the cursor is just right of the "©"
  4. now enter the "original writing direction" marker (or a right-to-left marker for that matter)

Now it should look as expected.

Bernd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines