• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Are there any sanfu's when using a 3rd-party CMS, like Subversion (or something similar), with FrameMaker (or RH)?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2018 Oct 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are looking into going with a 3rd-party CMS, like Subversion, and wondered if anyone has ever run into any snafu's using that or something similar with FrameMaker (or RH)?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you checked out the FM CMS forum (FrameMaker CMS Forum ) or the Source Control one in RH? (Source Control )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

I have not but if that's a better place to ask this question, I can surely post it there.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 10, 2018 Oct 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None that I'm aware of, as long as you use products directly supported by Fm/Rh.

If not directly supported, you'll have to manually check in/check out files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 11, 2018 Oct 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response. I didn't think there'd be any issues, but wanted to double check just to be safe.

On a side note, is there are report I can run to identify the file paths of graphics in a FM project? Or maybe an option in one of the menus?

Thanks again for your response.

Pat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's your need for the report?

Running the File > Package command will produce a folder with all the graphics in one location. Does that solve your problem?

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As we prepare to install a software versioning app, we want to identify the location of all our "referenced-in" graphics for our different user guides since they're currently not all housed with the FM project. Rather, they're in many different network folders. That way, we can retrieve all of the graphics that reside in outside folders and store them together so the links aren't broken when the new app is set up, or we can easily re-link them from one location.

As I read about the Packaging function, it states that:

"To create a package, place all their topic, chapter, and dependent files in the same folder or its sub-folders. Any files outside the folder are treated as missing files and are not copied in the zip file."

So this won't work for us as we need all the graphics to be included in the package, even the ones outside of the folder. Sounds like it wouldn't work for text insets, which are also housed in different locations on our network. We figured there'd be a way to identify (or map) the graphic files in the documents so we can move them all together and retain the integrity of the links as we transition to the new system, or at least easily re-link them from one graphics folder. And there's a ton of graphics in our documents, so going in and identifying one-by-one would take a lot of time.

Long story short, the company I work for has had many writers over the years but no consistent guidelines on how writers should store files, so I'm attempting to put some order to the chaos, so to speak.

Thanks for your suggestion!

Pat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just found a posting from 2015 that answered my question. Adding a List of References (LOR) to the book and selecting Imported Graphics as the item to list pulled back all graphics into a separate file, like a list of tables, and displayed all the file paths. This is going to work for us. Thanks for your assistance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines