Highlighted

Assigning key strokes to character tags

Explorer ,
Jan 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

FM 12 on Windows 10.

Currently, Ctrl+I is tied to italic. Can I reroute Ctrl+I to apply a character tag?

In general, how can I customize the key sequences in FM to my own needs?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Assigning key strokes to character tags

Explorer ,
Jan 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

FM 12 on Windows 10.

Currently, Ctrl+I is tied to italic. Can I reroute Ctrl+I to apply a character tag?

In general, how can I customize the key sequences in FM to my own needs?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jan 18, 2016 0
Advisor ,
Jan 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

one quick way to apply character styles without customisation: press F8 and select the style from the pop-up

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 18, 2016 0
Mentor ,
Jan 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Egan,

You can do it with scripting. Coincidentally, I have a free script available that does this. It is the "ADVANCED_Create_formatting_shortcuts.jsx" script among these samples:

FrameMaker ExtendScript Samples - West Street Consulting

Note that you need to understand how to run a script, plus you need to customized the script for the keyboard shortcuts that you want to use. I don't have a lot of time to discuss it here at the moment, but if you do check it out and have questions, please feel free to ask.

When you use Ctrl+i, etc., it is a totally logical thing to apply a format rather than an ad-hoc formatting change. I use this script so much I'm afraid it might wear out.

Russ

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 19, 2016 0
Explorer ,
Jan 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Russ,

Your script is what I have been looking for, so thank you!

One last bit though has me confused.

Ideally, the behavior I'm thinking is something like this:

1. Hit ctrl+I to apply a character tag called Emphasis

2. Type some text.

3. Hit ctrl+D to revert to the default character tag.

Where I'm getting stuck is how to design a shortcut that revert back to the default font?

Thanks!

Egan

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 19, 2016 0
Contributor ,
Jan 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might be able to do all you require by modifying FrameMaker configuration files. This Adobe-authored document describes how to do so for FrameMaker 7.0::

http://www.daube.ch/docu/fm-documentation/FM/fm07-Customizing_Frame_Products.pdf

The above document has not been updated for any newer versions. The documents below give some extra information about customizing more recent versions of FrameMaker:

http://www.daube.ch/docu/files/etb-customising-fm.pdf

http://www.daube.ch/docu/files/etb-customising-fm12.pdf

See also the many other useful resources on the Working with FrameMaker section of Klaus Daube's website.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 20, 2016 0
Mentor ,
Jan 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Egan,

Interesting observation. Now that I think about it, the design of the script is to apply the format to the current selection. If you have just an insertion point, I guess that starts a new span of the character format, which extends as you type. But indeed, the script has no mechanism to stop the character format. In my case, I use structured documents, so the script applies elements which have much more explicit boundaries. I have never actually used the script on an unstructured document, so I never considered this use case.

The script could be modified to add this feature. However, I can't do it right away (busy week). If Mike's suggestion does not get you where you want, I'll make an update to the script. You'll have to be a little bit patient, though.

Russ

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 20, 2016 0
Explorer ,
Jan 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the suggestions. I've checked out all three links and Klaus' website.

Here's how far I got.

1. There's a command called CharacterDefaultPgfFont which according to http://www.daube.ch/docu/files/etb-fm12-commands.pdf is set to F2. I can modify it and set it to Ctrl+Shift+D for default. Good.

2. I need to create a second command say called Emphasis:

Difficulty 1: I haven't found yet the name of the command to select a character tag. For the purpose of this conversation, assume it is called SelectCharacterTag and assume its Fcode is \x500. I know I'm making this up, but it will help illustrate the second difficulty:

<Command Emphasis

<Label Turns the Emphasis Character Tag On>

<KeySequence ^+e>

<KeySeqLabel Ctrl+Shift+E>

<Definition \x500>

>

This definition won't work because I want to select the Emphasis character tag but it does not look like that you could pass a parameter into the Definition entry, right? So how could I create a command that selects the Emphasis Character Tag?

That's where I'm stuck

Thanks for any suggestions you might have,

Egan

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 20, 2016 0
Explorer ,
Jan 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Russ,

Not sure if Mike's suggestion will work because I do not believe we can pass a parameter into the definition portion of a command. I'll see what he says.

Incidentally, I'd be happy to help in any way with the code if you'd like

Egan.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 20, 2016 0
Contributor ,
Jan 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The last time I reconfigured the UI in this way was a long time ago (FrameMaker 4 or 5, if my memory is any good). So my own experience is a bit out of date.

I'm not sure whether or not you can pass a parameter in the way you're trying.

Another approach you could try is to modify the config files so that your chosen key combination emits the keystrokes to select Emphasis (e.g. F8, then "Emphasis").This was certainly something I did back long ago, but I cannot remember the precise details, nor do I know if it would still be possible.

Sorry I cannot be more help.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 21, 2016 0