• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Attempting a pseudo-automated List of Effective Pages (LOEP)

Explorer ,
Mar 27, 2020 Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After reviewing Barb's instructions for creating an LOEP, I’ve successfully produced a list-of-paragraphs that display the page number and it’s date (see snippets below). I have a couple of questions though, that I haven’t been able to answer online – maybe I’m not searching the right things.

• On an automatically generated list like this, can I format it to populate a table (in this instance with 2 columns: Page No and Effective Date)
  • Is there a way to include the ChapterTitle of the page being listed (similar to how I have my Running footer)?  I can add ‘ChapterTitle’ to the list of included paragraphs, but it only includes it once.
    • Note on this: The number’s shown in ChapterTitle are just text and part of the paragraph – that works for aviation manuals where I have a *.fm file for each chapter, and they are specific numbers based on subject matter – not sequential.
    • Ideally what I would like to display is:       Page No…….Chapter Title……..Effective Date    (Each chapter title would be listed on every page listing of that chapter)

I tried adding <$paratext[ChapterTitle]> like my running footer to the reference page, but it just listed the date a second time.

LOP.png

refpage.png

chaptertitle.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 27, 2020 Mar 27, 2020

Hi Andrew:

While an LOP/LOEP is more sophisticated than a simple TOC or List of Figures, it still adheres to the same rules that govern all generated files. Details below.

1. On an automatically generated list like this, can I format it to populate a table (in this instance with 2 columns: Page No and Effective Date).
    No, generated files are just lists. If you format them into a table, you will have to repeat the process after every update. Scripting may help here, but that's not my area. You

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Andrew:

While an LOP/LOEP is more sophisticated than a simple TOC or List of Figures, it still adheres to the same rules that govern all generated files. Details below.

1. On an automatically generated list like this, can I format it to populate a table (in this instance with 2 columns: Page No and Effective Date).
    No, generated files are just lists. If you format them into a table, you will have to repeat the process after every update. Scripting may help here, but that's not my area. You could make the page 2 columns and set tabs to control the positioning so that it looks like a table.
  2. Is there a way to include the ChapterTitle of the page being listed (similar to how I have my Running footer)? I can add ‘ChapterTitle’ to the list of included paragraphs, but it only includes it once. No. You'd have to move to cross-references instead of the convenience and ease of a generated file.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Barb!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Always happy to help, Andrew!

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2021 Jul 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Andspence1, 

In your searches, did you ever find a way to create an LEP in FM that is formatted into a table? We are having the same issue and cannot find a solution. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 23, 2021 Jul 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please contact me offlist about this. I am looking for a project like this to script and I may be able to use your requirements for a case study and webinar. If it works out, I would provide the script to you at no cost. Thanks. rick at frameexpert dot com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 26, 2021 Jul 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@frameexpert I will contact you offlist about this as well!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 26, 2021 Jul 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry - No, I did not.  BUT, I didn't ever try splitting the page into two columns to make it "look" like a table as @Barb Binder suggested. I settled for a similar look to a TOC, but made it substantially different than the TOC just so it wouldn't be confused for one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines