Highlighted

Attempting a pseudo-automated List of Effective Pages (LOEP)

Explorer ,
Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After reviewing Barb's instructions for creating an LOEP, I’ve successfully produced a list-of-paragraphs that display the page number and it’s date (see snippets below). I have a couple of questions though, that I haven’t been able to answer online – maybe I’m not searching the right things.

• On an automatically generated list like this, can I format it to populate a table (in this instance with 2 columns: Page No and Effective Date)
  • Is there a way to include the ChapterTitle of the page being listed (similar to how I have my Running footer)?  I can add ‘ChapterTitle’ to the list of included paragraphs, but it only includes it once.
    • Note on this: The number’s shown in ChapterTitle are just text and part of the paragraph – that works for aviation manuals where I have a *.fm file for each chapter, and they are specific numbers based on subject matter – not sequential.
    • Ideally what I would like to display is:       Page No…….Chapter Title……..Effective Date    (Each chapter title would be listed on every page listing of that chapter)

I tried adding <$paratext[ChapterTitle]> like my running footer to the reference page, but it just listed the date a second time.

LOP.png

refpage.png

chaptertitle.png

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Barb Binder | Adobe Community Professional

Hi Andrew:

While an LOP/LOEP is more sophisticated than a simple TOC or List of Figures, it still adheres to the same rules that govern all generated files. Details below.

1. On an automatically generated list like this, can I format it to populate a table (in this instance with 2 columns: Page No and Effective Date).
    No, generated files are just lists. If you format them into a table, you will have to repeat the process after every update. Scripting may help here, but that's not my area. You could make the page 2 columns and set tabs to control the positioning so that it looks like a table.
  2. Is there a way to include the ChapterTitle of the page being listed (similar to how I have my Running footer)? I can add ‘ChapterTitle’ to the list of included paragraphs, but it only includes it once. No. You'd have to move to cross-references instead of the convenience and ease of a generated file.

~Barb

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Attempting a pseudo-automated List of Effective Pages (LOEP)

Explorer ,
Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After reviewing Barb's instructions for creating an LOEP, I’ve successfully produced a list-of-paragraphs that display the page number and it’s date (see snippets below). I have a couple of questions though, that I haven’t been able to answer online – maybe I’m not searching the right things.

• On an automatically generated list like this, can I format it to populate a table (in this instance with 2 columns: Page No and Effective Date)
  • Is there a way to include the ChapterTitle of the page being listed (similar to how I have my Running footer)?  I can add ‘ChapterTitle’ to the list of included paragraphs, but it only includes it once.
    • Note on this: The number’s shown in ChapterTitle are just text and part of the paragraph – that works for aviation manuals where I have a *.fm file for each chapter, and they are specific numbers based on subject matter – not sequential.
    • Ideally what I would like to display is:       Page No…….Chapter Title……..Effective Date    (Each chapter title would be listed on every page listing of that chapter)

I tried adding <$paratext[ChapterTitle]> like my running footer to the reference page, but it just listed the date a second time.

LOP.png

refpage.png

chaptertitle.png

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Barb Binder | Adobe Community Professional

Hi Andrew:

While an LOP/LOEP is more sophisticated than a simple TOC or List of Figures, it still adheres to the same rules that govern all generated files. Details below.

1. On an automatically generated list like this, can I format it to populate a table (in this instance with 2 columns: Page No and Effective Date).
    No, generated files are just lists. If you format them into a table, you will have to repeat the process after every update. Scripting may help here, but that's not my area. You could make the page 2 columns and set tabs to control the positioning so that it looks like a table.
  2. Is there a way to include the ChapterTitle of the page being listed (similar to how I have my Running footer)? I can add ‘ChapterTitle’ to the list of included paragraphs, but it only includes it once. No. You'd have to move to cross-references instead of the convenience and ease of a generated file.

~Barb

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Mar 27, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Andrew:

~Barb

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 27, 2020 1
Explorer ,
Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Barb!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 27, 2020 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Always happy to help, Andrew!

~Barb

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 27, 2020 0