• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Automate FM2015 Publish via CLI call

Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2016 Jan 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to automate Framemaker 2015 File > Publish, ie to call this function from the commandline?

Typical usage would be to automate building html/pdf/etc output from a Jenkins buildbot.

Somewhat related question: why is not pdf an option in the File > Publish dialog? Having pdf output menu option

under File > Save as PDF and the rest under File > Publish could have been good enough in 2015 but seriously:

this is 2016 after all.

BR Bjørn Asle

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Jan 28, 2016 Jan 28, 2016

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMHO, output via PDF is “printing”; output via Publish is “generation”

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bjørn,

FYI, as long as someone manually starts the process on the desktop, you can try to use the Extendscript initial script approach as shown in the link posted by Mike. However, if you completely automate this to run unattended, then you may be in violation of Adobe's licensing for FM [that's why they have the FM Publishing Server version].

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bjørn,

Arnis Gubins‌ brought in the key factor here. The EULA for the normal FrameMaker license explicitly prohibits what you are trying to do.

You can find the FrameMaker Software License Agreement here: Adobe FrameMaker Software License Agreement.

Section 2.1.7.2:

For clarification and without limitation, the foregoing does not permit Customer to install or access (either directly or through commands, data, or instructions) the Software: (a) from or to a Computer not part of Customer’s Internal Network; (b) for enabling web hosted workgroups or web hosted services available to the public; (c) by any individual or entity to use, download, copy, or otherwise benefit from the functionality of the Software unless licensed to do so by Adobe; (d) as a component of a system, workflow or service accessible by more than the Permitted Number of users; or (e) for operations not initiated by an individual user (e.g., automated server processing).

To build a business process for automated publishing, I suggest that you have a look at Adobe FrameMaker Publishing Server (aka "FMPS"). Adobe FrameMaker Publishing Server (2015 release) is an enterprise software to automate multichannel publishing. Access publishing services remotely and output bidirectional content in multiple formats: HTML5, WebHelp, EPUB, KF8, MOBI, PDF, and CHM, and as mobile apps. Integrate with CMSs using web APIs or built-in connectors.

Let me know if you have any questions regarding FrameMaker Publishing Server.

Kind Regards,

Stefan Gentz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stefan,

My understanding of the license is that if the user manually starts FM on a desktop machine, such that an Extendscript initial script (or plug-in) runs the rest of the required procedure, that this does not violate any of the conditions that you reference for the EULA section 2.1.7.2.

If one skips the Jenkins/Buildbot CI automation step, is this still not allowed under the current license?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I'm definitively not a legal expert, so I cannot answer that 🙂

My personal understanding is (don't take it as an "official answer from legal department"):

If you start FM manually and execute an ExtendScript manually, than everything is on the secure side.

If you start FM manually and during start up an initial script / plugin is executed automatically and this script/plugin performs automated publishing – hm. E.g. if this script/plugin runs "forever" and watches e.g. a hot folder and then triggers a publishing process every time something new comes in, than this is very likely no longer covered by the license agreement. (In some way, you would turn the normal FrameMaker into some sort of FrameMaker Server by simulating features or functionalities covered by FMPS.)

I tend to say, this is some sort of legal limbo.

However, one thing is pretty clear: If you create or use a software, that automatically starts FrameMaker and then automatically executes something, this is not covered by the license.

My take on that: With 499$ per month FMPS is reasonably enough priced to setup a professional business publishing process. And it offers quite a lot. So why go on that slippery road of legal limbo and base a professional enterprise process on it, when there is a legally clean and professional solution available at a reasonable price that can give you and your legal department piece of mind 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the confirmation. The script running "forever" scenario wasn't what I envisioned [more like: start the process, go have coffee or do other work, come back to a finished set of files ready for inspection...].

I fully concur that if users need an automated publishing route and need to run this on a regular basis, then FMPS is the way to go.

For those stuck in the middle ground, with occasional production crunches, and not wanting the tedium of manually clicking through all of the options in FM to generate the various output formats, having a script that does the majority of the work would be quite welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2016 Jan 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for clarifying this Q quite well amigos, appreciate it -- thanks.

I was aware that FMPS existed but have not really looked into it.I will have a look.

Obviously, if there's a EULA-issue here we will play by the rules, but let me be perfectly clear here (my $.02):

For me this is like a compiler where you can use it any way you like but not from a Makefile. Awkward.

I don't get it, but I'm not a barrister nor in any form or shape a salesman so whatdoIknow...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines