• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Autonumbering is being thrown off by numbered list

Participant ,
Nov 25, 2019 Nov 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, all! As a FrameMaker newbie, I really appreciate everyone's help with my questions. I have another one for you that, like my other questions, probably has a simple answer.

I have created numbering for all of my heading styles, and it was working fine until one of my sections contained a numbered list. The numbering in that list seems to have thrown off the numbering in my headings. I've tweaked the paragraph styles, but with limited success. Here is a screenshot of what I've done, and I'm hoping the problem will be immediately obvious to those of you who understand this a little better than I do.

Thanks!

TOPICS
Formatting and numbering

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Nov 25, 2019 Nov 25, 2019

Try adding a "series" prefix to the main autonumbers. It can be any letter (case-sensitive) followed by a colon. For example,

S:<$chaptnum>.<$sectionnum>.<n+>

Leave the numbered list with no series prefix.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Nov 25, 2019 Nov 25, 2019

The FM default for autonumbers is no Series Label, which means that yes, autonumbers can step on each other.

You need to revise the various initial and follow-on paragraph formats to include Series Labels, such as, perhaps:
H:<n=1>.\t
H:<n+>.\t
for Headings, and
N:<n=1>.\t
N:<n+>.\t
for Numbered

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try adding a "series" prefix to the main autonumbers. It can be any letter (case-sensitive) followed by a colon. For example,

S:<$chaptnum>.<$sectionnum>.<n+>

Leave the numbered list with no series prefix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! I actually did was the poster below suggested (H for headings, N for numbered lists), and it worked like a charm! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a couple of blog posts that will help you understand autonumbers:

http://frameautomation.com/framemaker-autonumber-primer/

http://frameautomation.com/advanced-autonumber-concepts/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for these links! They didn't come up when I was looking for answers previously, and they're very helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The FM default for autonumbers is no Series Label, which means that yes, autonumbers can step on each other.

You need to revise the various initial and follow-on paragraph formats to include Series Labels, such as, perhaps:
H:<n=1>.\t
H:<n+>.\t
for Headings, and
N:<n=1>.\t
N:<n+>.\t
for Numbered

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the series letters arbitrary?  Or do you have to use H: for headings, N: for numbers, etc.?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Arbitrary, but using things like H for headings and N for numbered is a useful mnemonic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Series Labels are arbitrary, but it's useful to establish consistent conventions that are as self-documenting as possible with a single character notation.

If I recall correctly, it's also case-sensitive, so you might use A for A,B,C, and a for a,b,c, in deeply nested scenarios.

What I don't know, not having tested it in FM8 or later, is whether you are restricted to A-Z, ASCII, 8-bit Roman, or if you could use arbitrary Unicode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob Niland, this did the trick. Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines