• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Basic structured frame question - how to change the text in an element?

New Here ,
Jan 13, 2016 Jan 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I inherited a Frame doc created with structured frame - I can see items tagged as Product Version, etc., but when I go to change the actual text, it doesn't let me. I know it's a basic question, but it is frustrating me. So far, the only way I can change it is by switching to unstructured frame. How did the previous author define these fields? For example, I want to change <ProductVersion>123456<ProductVersion> to <ProductVersion>123457<ProductVersion>.

TOPICS
Structured

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jan 14, 2016 Jan 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

In structured Frame, an element has to be defined to allow text, otherwise you aren't allowed to type in it. However, since your element already has text in it, I would assume that this is already the case. But perhaps not... text can also be inserted automatically based on attribute values, EDD prefixes/suffixes, template autonumbering, etc.

It's hard to know what exactly is going on without more information. Can you post a picture, especially one showing the applicable area in the Structure View?

Russ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Russ,

Thanks for your response. Here's an image of what I'm looking at - I blocked out the other info. I need to change the part number from 70-00915-04 C and I just can't find the menu option or command to open the element.

example.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

Thanks for the pic. It provides some clues, but I don't think the complete answer can be known without a direct examination of the file.

The biggest clue is that the Structure View does not show the text 70-00915-04. This means that the text was not entered in the document window by a person. Since you can't type there, we can assume that this element does not allow this at all. So, then, we have to figure out where the text is coming from and how to change it. There are two common possibilities:

- The EDD is adding it by means of an automatic "prefix" or "suffix". This text can be static or it can be drawn from other places like attribute values.

- The paragraph format in the template is adding it as an autonumber format, in which case it is static. I think this is less likely.

There might be other possibilities. These are two I know where the text does not show in the Structure View. Things like variables and markers do show the text.

I don't think I can get any closer without an examination of the file. If you want to sent me a sample file, I'd be happy to give you a solid answer. Send it to russ at weststreetconsulting.com. It doesn't need to contain any content. I understand, though, if there are concerns of propriety.

Thanks,

Russ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines