Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Basics - how do topics get moved into books to create, say, an O&M manual

New Here ,
Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi forumers - my first post here!

I've just fired up Fm 2017 and am a complete novice.

I understand the DITA concept but cannot grasp how DITA topics are "injected" into maps or books with master pages and reference pages etc.

In short - how do I assemble topics into an illustrated document with a fixed style.

Are there any books I could look at?

Thanks in advance

NKB69

TOPICS
Content migration , Structured

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure you want to tackle structured FM if you're a novice FM user? If so, you're going to need a lot of training on how to make it work. I'd suggest contacting either Matt R. Sullivan (techcomtools.com) or Barb Binder (rockymountainingtraining.com).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeff.

I'm in England so will source local training.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They both do remote training sessions via the web - I don't know any UK structured FM trainers off the top of my head. Are you really sure structured DITA is the way to go? It can be quite expensive to get things set up and output created.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm pinging someone in the UK who might know - I'll post back if I get a contact for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's very kind Jeff. Thank you very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

As far as I know Mekon offers FrameMaker training in the UK.

http://mekon.com/ 

Possibly there are more. You might as the ISTC in the UK.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just heard back - Cherryleaf runs a couple of courses on Structured FM and creating EDDs - check them out at cherryleaf.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jan 22, 2020 Jan 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi NKB69,

Just to echo what some others have implied, you are attempting to launch a complex workflow without much experience behind you. Have you done the due diligence to determine that DITA is the correct technology to pursue? What are your goals and what do you anticipate will be the ROI? Lots of folks get gee-whizzed into this complicated stuff when they never really needed it in the first place, costing more to set up and maintain than the end result is worth. Certainly, the consultants who get paid to implement DITA workflows would offer a dissenting opinion, but that is business as usual.

I am a strong proponent of structured authoring and I believe DITA has a place at that table. But it is not every place. I hope that you have researched carefully your options with regard to your objectives. Buzzwords and concepts get tossed around so carelessly, which ends up in so many failed efforts and wasted money.

Just some thoughts, trying to help. Feel free to ignore.

Russ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2020 Jan 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Russ.

You've applied some relevant and practical braking to my DITA aspirations.

Given the size of our business and our product portfolio, this is not the path to take. Boeing we are not!

I will proceed with a DITAless approach.

Many Thanks

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 23, 2020 Jan 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I would recommend getting a copy of one of Matt R. Sullivan's "bibles" on FM - Publishing Fundamentals (old, but still valid) or his newer ones Working with Content or Creating and Editing Content. Super useful to newbie FM users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines