• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Best methods for creating e-books from FrameMaker 10 (TCS 3.5)

Dec 19, 2011 Dec 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to know your thoughts on which of the following methods is the best, and easiest, way to create e-books from FrameMaker. I will most likely be using Calibre to do the file conversion.

(1) Using File > Publish > ePub to create an ePub file, which can then be imported into Calibre.

(2) Using the File > Save Book As > HTM command (which creates a separate HTML file for each FM file), editing the HTML files in RoboHelp (or another HTML editing tool), then importing all of the HTML files into Calibre.

Note that when I published to HTML from FM, it appears that only an output file was created from RoboHelp, as I could not find any HTML files were actually created. Is that the case, or was I just not looking for the HTML files in the right place?

If anyone has any other recommendations, please let me know! Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 19, 2011 Dec 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. You could also try out Frank Elmore's (the creator of FrameScript) new ePubFM plug-in. See: http://elmsoftonline.com/

2. Using mif2go to create better HTML and a stable workflow to Calibre and Sigil is also worth checking out. See: http://www.omsys.com/dcl/mif2go_main.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 20, 2011 Dec 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Arnis,

Just looked at the epub elms software. Is this like a magic thing, or is there scripting, ect. involved?

Thanks,

ls

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No scripting required. It just shows as a menu option (also includes Mobi output if you install Calibre) on the FIle Menu, e.g.

ePubFM_menu.png

However, the current version just converts a single document at a time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I do need to retain the original (printed) version of my book, it would make more sense for me to link the FM book to RH, then create the ePub files from RH. That way I can make changes in the HTML files that just apply to the ebook. Don't know why I didn't think of that before!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL - I did suggest that in post #2, didn't I?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you did. That's what I was replying to, and agreeing with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, you had replied to Arnis (fantastic guy that he is!), not me - that's why I was a bit confused ;>)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 22, 2011 Dec 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW, there's a new Adobe blog post on publishing to ePub. See: http://blogs.adobe.com/techcomm/2011/12/publish-your-framemaker-content-to-mobile-devices.html

The prescribed route going through a project setup in RH is still overtly convoluted for the average user, IMHO.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since you've got TCS, why not go FM - RH - ePub?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 24, 2011 Dec 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I linked the FrameMaker book to RoboHelp, then generated an ePub file from RoboHelp, and have a couple of issues.

(1) When I open the ePub file in Calibre and Adobe Digital Editions, there is no contents section within the book. The only contents is the contents in the navigation bar. How do I generate a contents to appear in the front of the ebook, or do I have to create that manually in RH? I did specify the settings in RH to convert the FM contents.

(2) The ePub file looks much better in Calibre than Adobe Digital Editions. Should I be concerned about this? Which viewer should I rely on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines