Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Best way to learn structured

Contributor ,
Nov 02, 2015 Nov 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Starting with a well organized FM12 unstructured setup, including table, para, and char styles along with anchored frames that do not have any overlying text, is there a tutorial you recommend for moving to structured FrameMaker?

That is, there are a subset of styles that are possible after a heading, a subset that are possible after body text, etc.

So, given a fairly well organized unstructured environment with no overrides, is there a tutorial on moving to a structured environment and building the EDD?

Cheers,

Sean

TOPICS
Structured

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , Nov 06, 2015 Nov 06, 2015

Sean, I see that no one has answered and I don't want to let it stay that way. However, I don't have a really great answer for you. I think that most people just get the Structure Developers Guide and maybe some sample files, then just mess around until they get it. That said, in your post you seem to be specifically referring to information about the conversion from unstructured. On my website, I have some (very old) files that demonstrate the conversion process with a conversion table, perhaps

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,
Nov 06, 2015 Nov 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sean, I see that no one has answered and I don't want to let it stay that way. However, I don't have a really great answer for you. I think that most people just get the Structure Developers Guide and maybe some sample files, then just mess around until they get it. That said, in your post you seem to be specifically referring to information about the conversion from unstructured. On my website, I have some (very old) files that demonstrate the conversion process with a conversion table, perhaps they could help some:

Resources/downloads - West Street Consulting

My assumption is that these files still work, but I haven't looked at them for a long time.

I think in summary, this process is often a journey of one. I know there are books and such, but nothing beats personal experimentation. Structure is much like a toolbox rather than a single tool, so it pays to learn the various pieces of it.

Russ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 06, 2015 Nov 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 11, 2015 Dec 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Sean,

I've come to the conclusion, that learning what XML is and how it works, does also help a lot in learning Structured Frame. Essentially XML and Structured FM are the same beast with different fur.

Most of the principles map 1:1 between the two (and makes moving to XML from Structured FM fairly easy). And on the interwebs there's much more info on XML than on Structured FM.

Just don't bother with the specific XML stuff (yet) and try to understand the fundamental principles.

As a starter you can say:

DTD = EDD

XML-Tags = Structure

Conditional formatting in the EDD = XSL:FO

Conversion tables = XSLT

This is only a rough simplification, but it works pretty good when trying to understand how all that stuff works together.

It also might provide you with some insight, what is possible when you moved to Structured FM and expand to XML later on.

After reading that up, much of the Structured Developers Guide will make more sense.

-Alex

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines