Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Book update error: Book is not self-consistent

Participant ,
Apr 12, 2016 Apr 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm using FM2015, and I have a large unstructured book with about 70 chapters. I updated the book and saw an error message I have never seen before: "Book is not self-consistent." I searched the obvious locations to try to figure this out but couldn't find any information. The book seems to be functioning fine.

Does anyone know what this message means?
Thanks!
Alexandra Duffy

Lead Technical Writer

Vectorworks, Inc.

TOPICS
Error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Apr 21, 2016 Apr 21, 2016

Hello Everyone,

There was a new FM update this morning - 13.03.495. This solved the issue for me... no more "book is not self-consistent" error message when updating the book.

Thanks very much, Adobe Tech Comm team!
Alexandra

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As an update, I did finally find some info here on the forum from 2009. But, none of our x-refs are broken, the book wasn't changing as I updated it, and I am not using structured. So I'm still puzzled by this message. There are no other errors for the book.

Alexandra

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You saw - https://www.mail-archive.com/framers@lists.frameusers.com/msg27143.html & https://forums.adobe.com/thread/460243 ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I did see these posts. In my case, I'm not using Track Changes, and not creating an Index. I am creating a TOC; however, it generates properly and there's no crash. I will try removing the TOC and creating a new TOC file. I can't do this until later today. Will post my results.

Thanks,

Alexandra

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Removing and re-adding the TOC made no difference. Still see the error. My colleague, who did not update FM this morning to the third FM2015 update, does not get the error. So the update could be related to the book error. I can still function fine - I had just never seen this error before.

Thanks for the help, Jeff!
Alexandra

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There have only been two (2) updates to FM2015. What's your point version (Help > About)?

Do you have any other generated files in your book? If so, exclude them all and try to re-generate. If this works, then turn off the excludes one at a time to see where the problem starts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Arnis,

There was a third update just this morning. 13.0.3.494

Nope, I have no other generated files in the book. I'm sure it is related to the TOC, but not sure what the issue is or whether the update had an effect. And, I'm out of the office for the rest of the week, so I'll have to get back to this next week.

All I know is that yesterday there were no issues, and today there are. I updated my FM, and my colleague did not. But of course, we also did other work in chapters which may have caused this? It's strange. Since the TOC compiles file and everything else is otherwise OK, I'm not too worried.

Thank you!
Alexandra

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I see that they haven't updated the downloads page to show the new patch and my Help > Updates... is greyed out [Hmmm..... ]. The resolved issues info [https://helpx.adobe.com/framemaker/kb/resolved-issues-framemaker-2015.html] shows some work on the Book UI and Conditoinal pod features,,, so it's possible something got broken. I'll flag the engineers on this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Zandwich,

Does this issue happens with other books too? Also would it be possible for you to share a trimmed book or any sample book that throws given error.

It would really help us getting to the root cause. You can directly mail me sample files at: ksaini@adobe.com

Thanks

Kunal Saini

FM Engineering

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 14, 2016 Apr 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have TCS 5, RH 2015 and FM 2015.

A week or two ago, I ensured that my FM 2015 is up-to-date (v. 13.0.02.433)

I updated my FM book, on April 12, no issues, On April 13, I noticed there is a new update, installed and I got the "Book is not self- consistent message with the books I tried to update.  In the past I have gotten this message in TCS 4, when I tried to update a book with Track Text Edit on

My current book has no Track Edits on, and  no Revision Marks . I spent two hours trying to figure out where is the problem (TOC, Index, numbering, or X-refs), by selecting and deselecting options in the Update dg box and by adding and removing files from my books, and this is what I found:

• The new update can't handle X-refs created in files upgraded from earlier version of FM. In my current book I have brand new chapters with X-refs created in FM 2015, If I delete all other chapters, but the new ones - the book updates no problem.
  • If I delete all chapters, and then add one of the chapters, upgraded from FM 2012, and then delete all X-refs AND all X-refs markers, the book updates no problem. If I add any new X-refs to this older chapter (i.e. from FM 2012), the book updates no problem.
  • As I said, I tried updating other books which I have upgraded from FM 2012 - I get the error message consistently

So, my conclusion is that there is a problem with the latest FM 2015 update.

I am before product release and time is of the essence. I searched the forums, and it seems a rollback to a previous FM update is not an option. So, before uninstalling and reinstalling FM from the original setup files, I decided to do a System Restore to a version of my laptop from April 4, and that seems to work so far.

I have an older version of FM 2015 now (from before April 13 update) and my book now updates no problem. My book is linked to RH project and am hoping I can build the online help (have not tried this yet.

So, if you want to reproduce the issue:

• Create a book in FM 2012 or older version. Add X-refs in or between chapters.
  • Upgrade the book to FM 2015, try to update the book - you'll get the message the book is not self-consistent

I hope this gets fixed, as at some point I will have to update FM. All of my product documentation is upgraded from earlier versions of FM, and it is humanly impossible to recreate all X-refs in FM 2015 so that I can update my documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you able to send Kunal a sample of what you're experiencing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I just sent him two of the books (FM 2015 and FM2012) and three more versions of the FM 2015 book created when trying to figure out the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I also upgraded to the latest version and, after reading this post, did a quick update of a few or my current books. All of them generated correctly and I did see the error. I have recently uploaded a book for another bug (4103349). It generates this error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 15, 2016 Apr 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kunal,

If you still need a sample book I will send that to you when I am back in the office on Monday.
Alexandra

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 18, 2016 Apr 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I am able to get books from Navena and Tom and we are working on this issue on priority. We are able to see the error message too.

If anyone has encountered a crasher or has a crash log, please do share with me.

Thanks

Kunal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 21, 2016 Apr 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Everyone,

There was a new FM update this morning - 13.03.495. This solved the issue for me... no more "book is not self-consistent" error message when updating the book.

Thanks very much, Adobe Tech Comm team!
Alexandra

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same thing happens to me, updating generates this error. I wish I could send in my work for a data point, but I'm bound by NDA.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2016 Apr 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has Adobe confirmed that this is a bug? I also updated FrameMaker 2015 to version 13.0.3.494 a few days ago and now I'm getting this "book is not self-consistent" error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same error. I discovered that I still had track changes on. Turn it off and try to update your book.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2023 May 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Using FM17 and had this happen for the first time today. Disabling Track Edits allowed me to update the book without issue. I have over 150 different FM files and this is the only one it's happened with (so far). Thanks for posting a suggested resolution! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines