• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Broken Table of Contents

Explorer ,
Dec 29, 2016 Dec 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an FM10 book that has a TOC, but it isn't recognized when I select Update Book. The file doesn't show in the Generate field of the Update Book window. Is there an easy way to "unbreak" a TOC?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Usually when a TOC fails to appear in the Update Book screen it means that FM thinks there's no generated TOC present. Was this one of yours created via the "create standard TOC" menu option?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a Spanish translation of an existing book. The English version has a working TOC, but apparently when this one was sent to the translator, something broke. I can still see the "Table of Contents" in the appropriate chapter file, but it does not update, as if it is just plain text. I'm trying to figure out how to get the TOC back and correctly formatted in the easiest possible way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about just generating a new TOC & import the formatting from the "fake" one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 30, 2016 Dec 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sounds like a good idea, but I haven't figured out how to do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From the FM Bible (Publishing Fundamentals: Unstructured FM11, pg. 369):

"A Sneaky Way of Avoiding Formatting Work

If you have a template file that contains the table of contents settings you need, you can save yourself some time. Instead of generating the table of contents and then importing from the template file, try this:

1. Copy the template file to the book directory.

2. Rename the template file to match the name that FrameMaker assigns to the table of contents. For example, if your book is named long.book, the table of contents name will be longTOC.fm.

3. Open the book file and add the table of contents file as usual.

4. Update the book. FrameMaker automatically uses the file that you've snuck into the book's directory and picks up the formatting from that file."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will see if I can get this to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sneaky way of avoiding formatting did not work in FM10. It would not create the TOC with another file in the directory that already had the name it wanted to use.

I've created a TOC file and imported the formats from the old one. I'll just have to figure out how to get everything laid out right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IIRC, that method has worked for a long time - maybe BarbBinder​ can recall since when...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The method from the FM Bible looks like it's for FM11, so that may have been the issue in my case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New problem. I got the chapter set up with all of the content that it should have, but when I Update Book, it removes everything but the TOC. I just want to update the headings and page numbers, not rebuild the chapter every time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Isn't your TOC a separate file in your book? Or have you got it placed inside a .fm file that has your content in it? Maybe a screenshot of your book view might help us...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The TOC is in it's own file, but it includes product warranty information. In the attached screencap, the TOC is in the upper, two-column frame, and the warranty is in the lower frame (which takes up most of the page.FrameMaker TOC.PNG

Using the Update function resets the TOC to be in a single-column text frame on an otherwise blank page.

FrameMaker TOC2.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For this approach I would treat them as 2 separate files and use a text inset to put the TOC into the top of the warranty content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could the TOC file itself be kept from appearing as part of the book at printing? I wouldn't want it showing up twice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you would just right-click on it & exclude it so that it didn't get included in the output.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And this arrangement is working in plenty of our books, including the English version of this one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you've inherited this content & not developed it yourself. If the English version works what's changed with the French one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are quite correct. I have only been working three weeks at this job. I have worked with FM before, but not had to deal with these kinds of issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The French version was sent to a third-party translator (the Spanish version has the same problem). We suspect that different chapters were assigned to different translators, and the links were broken. It looks like the TOCs we got back were hand-typed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Making the TOC an excluded file and importing its text to the correct frame in a separate "Warranty" chapter seems to work for keeping the formatting during an Update, but of course there's still an issue. The Warranty should be page two (the front cover is page one), but the TOC shows the warranty as page one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As it turns out, the update did not delete the content I added, it just put the updated TOC on a new page before the content I added (with a blank page between them). If I could get the TOC to just accept the right formatting (two columns at the top of the page), I could probably get everything else to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 03, 2017 Jan 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sneaky way of avoiding formatting did not work in FM10. It would not create the TOC with another file in the directory that already had the name it wanted to use.

IIRC, that method has worked for a long time - maybe BarbBinder can recall since when...

Sorry Jeff, I've been off on vacation so this is no longer relevant but yes, that technique has worked for a while—I'm thinking version 9. I've got a post from 2010 detailing how it works: https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/reusing-a-framemaker-toc-or-index/ .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a working solution. Closing FM and reopening it, then Updating, resulted in a good TOC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The "sneaky technique" is just basic FM processing.

When you generate a TOC (or any generated file), FM looks to see if an earlier version of the generated file exists. If so, it uses the existing file as a template and replaces the entries within it. If not, it creates a new file with default formatting. Of course, the update will fail if an existing file is not writable.

FM cannot tell if an existing file was created by generating a TOC for a previous version of the same book or by copying another file; it simply tests for a file of the name exists. The question of creating the initial TOC for one book by importing templates into a file that FM generates for the current book or by copying and renaming the TOC from a finished book is really independent of the fact that the file is a TOC. Consider other situations in which you have a finished document and want to create a new one with the same formatting. You can do any of the following whether or not the documents in question are generated files:

1. Use File > New (or Ctrl-N) to create a new document, specifying the finished document as the template to use.

2. Make a copy of the finished document and rename it.

3. Create a new document from some other template and import formats from the finished document.

The rest of this message simply lists a couple of other things you can do with generated files.

1. The TOC extension for the table of contents is just a default. You can change it in the Set Up Table of Contents dialog box if you wish. Furthermore, you can completely change the filename of a book's table of contents. Suppose, for instance, that you are working on a set of several books, all with the same formatting. You can use a generic filename such as contents.toc for all the TOCs. That way, if you want to change the formatting throughout the set of books, you can simply make the change in one of the contents.toc files and copy the edited file to the other directories, without having to change the name of the copied file or to open each TOC file and import the updated formats into it. You will need to add a table of contents and rename it in every book. To rename it, you can right-click on the filename in the book window and select Rename from the resulting context menu. Alternatively, you can click on a filename in the book window to select it, pause, and then click on it again (if the two clicks are too close together, they will be interpreted as a double click that opens the file instead of allowing you to rename it).

2. There's another way you can prepare for updating the formatting of all TOCs in a set of books. Remember that a single file can be used in multiple books. Furthermore, a file that is a generated file in one book need not be generated in another book. Thus, you can create a book in which all files are the TOCs from the various publishable books. You are creating this book just as a handy way of making a collection of files. Enter the TOCs as files not as tables of contents. Suppose you want to update a master page or paragraph formats used in the TOCs. Make the changes in one TOC, then select all files in the book of TOCs and import formats from the edited one. The changes are then available in your publishable books.

--Lynne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines