• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

bug found in FM2017 paragraph formats when printing to PDF or postscript

Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2017 Aug 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have FrameMaker 2-17  Paragraph Formats for Figures and Tables.

In FrameMaker these are just fine in FM2017 as they were in FM12.

However, when we generate a PDF from any document or book from FM2017, then there is an additional graphic added to every Figure or Table name.  This is creating a noticeable CHANGE in each and every book that we PDF from FrameMaker.  This shows up in compares and will trigger change notifications in all of our translations.

See below the image of an extra line that shows up on each FIGURE and TABLE name.  This was never the case in FM12 to PDF conversion.

see overlap of figure graphic line.jpg

Our documents are worldwide and require translation, and this kind of issue will increase our translation costs exponentially.

We need to hear that someone is addressing this issue ASAP.

Please advise.

thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That looks like an on-going bug from the previous version, where underlines where appearing as part of the auto-number for the non-printing tab-character. You're seeing the overline at the tab character at the start of the "O".

Please report this bug using the Tracker database: https://tracker.adobe.com/#/home

Did you specify the "Compare Text Only" option in Acrobat for the comparisons? IIRC, this should ignore any overlines/underlines.

Have you tried doing the compares in FM?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for your input!

we'll report to dbase...however it was not allowing logins today.

We've done the compare in FM and no issue.

It seems to be an issue only when going from FM to PDF (or .ps with distiller).

I just ran a PDF compare to compare ONLY text. RESULT:  yes, that overline is still there visually (because it is in FM2017 PDF generation), but is not picked up in the compare to the FM12.

Thanks for your discussion...we'll await...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phyllis,

What browser are you using? I have not been able to log on to Tracker with Internet Explorer for some time. No problem with Edge.

--Lynne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works with Chrome and Firefox for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2017 Aug 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have been working with Adobe TCS support and we have a temporary solution: Using the SAVE AS PDF and the CMYK option was selected. (do not use print to .ps or use distiller)

Here is our team’s most recent
test results:

1. 1.

*BOOK Saved as PDF locally on
PC.

*A PDF window with options appeared
and ensure the CMYK option is selected.

*I pressed Set.

Result: Success

1. 2.

Just for fun, I Saved as PDF
again. This time I changed the setting to RGB.

Result: Not good. issues reappeared.

1. 3.

Next, I used the same book but
Saved as PDF with CMYK selected from the NETWORK release patch folder.

Result: Success

So, we have determined SAVE AS to PDF with CMYK selected works for

both a singular doc and a book, and works locally as well as across the network.

Questions:

• Why, then, do we even have .ps and Distiller? 
  • What is the benefit of Distiller?

If this is the “fix”, we need clarification on this. And it may require our release process to change. I am
sure others have used .ps/distiller as well (and often if they teams have set up scripts for their document release process, this could require updates for their tools).

THIS IS NOT FULLY RESOLVED, YET.  We consider this a workaround.

Phyllis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 29, 2017 Aug 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love the end of your post!!!

Aren't our careers themselves dedicated to creating workarounds for our "current condition"?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 29, 2017 Aug 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI, the SaveAsPDF route using CMYK still uses Distiller and .ps, you just don't see what's happening (same as for the RGB route).

The CMYK route uses a different postscript header (based upon the older Unix Level 1 postscript and is hard-wired into the FM code). The RGB route uses an external ps header file [that a knowledgeable user could modify to make specific "adjustments"].

FM writes a temporary postscript file (.tps), calls a few post-proessing routines to go over the .tps file (these routines can be disabled in the maker.ini file) and then hands the .tps file over to Distiller. When Distiller finishes, it returns control back to FM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 19, 2017 Aug 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are omitting the overline, or using a Frame Above options until the "bug" is resolved?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2020 May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am trying to insert overline text into photoshop cc 2020 but no can do today

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 13, 2017 Sep 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phyllis,

We have logged a ticket for this issue. You can vote on this issue.

Thanks

Kunal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines