• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bullets in FM12 Save as HTML

Contributor ,
Apr 16, 2015 Apr 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know use Webworks (ePublisher, $750 per year) or RoboHelp (have it as part of TCS) but what I want is only HTML with CSS from FrameMaker (without Javascript and stuff). So, am looking at Save as HTML.

When I save as HTML from FM 12 (part of TCS5, everything is patched up), my bulleted lists are borked. I use HTML setup correctly, the reference page (not show) seems fine, and the CSS seems to omit list-style-type, but adding it does not fix anything (CSS shown is directly from FM unedited by me).

My second-level bullets seem to be okay, but my top-level bullets, plus third level bullets, are not. Probably, this is because these styles use a Wingdings character (t for top-level bullets) in FrameMaker. How do I remove the letter "t" from my HTML output and, instead, apply a bullet? I don't care if it's different than a standard bullet.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Sean41.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Jan 08, 2016 Jan 08, 2016

The solution was to set include autonumber to N in the HTML mapping table. Then, set up the class in the CSS to include the bullet I wanted.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, if I change my FM paragraph styles to use the default font for bullets, things seem to work out acceptably.

That said, is there any way to make this work with the custom bullets I have for Bullet1 and Bullet3?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Search the forums, but Save As HTML out of FM has been notoriously poor – that’s why products like MIF2Go were created. It’s now free & very powerful in allowing you complete control over the resulting output.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I miss Jeremy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RoboHelp does not seem to produce simple HTML+CSS output. For this project, I can't use the complex hierarchy of folders and Javascript.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: Probably, this is because these styles use a Wingdings character (t for top-level bullets) in FrameMaker.

That would be my bet, not having played with HTML export in anything later than FM9.

It's another instance of the growing general rule: don't use legacy overlay/codepage fonts anymore, for anything.

Use a Unicode font that populates an assortment of bullets and bullet-like characters, and use the Unicode code points for those.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never before had time for Save as HTML. In a previous life,WebWorks Publisher had a DHTML output that would have done this just fine; but here we are.

How do I insert a custom Unicode code in FrameMaker to create my custom bullet, instead of the character-style-approach I am using now?

Cheers,

Sean

42.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sean,

You need to enter the unicode value for the desired symbol using the format \uNNNN, where the NNNN represents the 4-digit unicode value. If the specified value isn't coded in the font, then FM displays a question mark instead.

You can use the built-in File > Utilities > Charactr Palette to get the unicode values. [Note: it's hard to tell if a glyph is encoded in a selected font or not with this utility. I prefer PopChar (http://www.ergonis.com/products/popcharwin/) ]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: How do I insert a custom Unicode code in FrameMaker to create my custom bullet ...

The default bullet in FM, as defined in the autonumber tab of Paragraph Designer is \b, with a typical AN format for the default Bullet para tag being \b\t (bullet and tab), and using a Character Format of "Default ¶ Font".

Suppose you want to use Black Suit Diamond (♦) for your bullet, and your Unicode body font populates that code point (U+2666). That would be AN format \u2666\t

If your body format doesn't populate that format, but some other available font does. Then you would need to set up a Character Format, such as your BulletChar, that invokes that font (with all fields except Font Family set to blank or As-Is).

The solid diamond you presently use is WingDings code point \x74, which in legacy roman fonts is the code point for "t", and in Unicode fonts is the same U+0074. Your present workflow is preserving the code point but either losing the font invocation, or not embedding the WingDings overlay font in the HTML, so it just gets served out as U+0074 in the body font.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 08, 2016 Jan 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The solution was to set include autonumber to N in the HTML mapping table. Then, set up the class in the CSS to include the bullet I wanted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines