Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Buying FrameMaker and Trial Version Curiosity

Contributor ,
Feb 02, 2018 Feb 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am considering upgrading from FM12, part of a TCS version I have, to FM 2017 (and dropping TCS). A couple of curious things about this.

1) I just googled buy FrameMaker, or similar, to avoid having to navigate the Adobe Website which caters to CC apps and not FM. I first found where I could buy FM for the African and Asian market (priced in SR), and next I got an Asian only Adobe shop that did sell in dollars. I eventually found where I wanted to be, but through navigation from Adobe.com and not search.

2) I am installing the trial version of 2017. I went to download it.

Adobe's download and installer don't support the Chrome browser.

1) This would have been nice to know beforehand, because I would have used Firefox or IE instead.

2) Really, you don't support the most popular browser on the planet? Browser market share

Anyway, off we go.

Cheers,

Sean

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 04, 2018 Feb 04, 2018

Hi,

when I tried it in Chrome, I get this window:

Downloader-Chrome-2018-02-04-Direct-Download.jpg

From there I can directly download the following two files and run the installer once they are downloaded:

Framemaker_14_LREFDJ.7z

Framemaker_14_LREFDJ.exe

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sean,

when you go to the Adobe FrameMaker product page (Adobe FrameMaker (2017 release)-For XML/DITA Authoring & Publishing),  there is blue/white “Buy now” button …

But I guess that’s not what you mean?

I cannot test right now, but the downloader should work with Chrome as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try it.
I found that after attempting to get the  trial, I got an error message that said my browser (Chrome) was unsupported. It would have been nice to know that beforehand. Also, I was then able to belatedly find information that tells Firefox and IE are the only supported browsers in Windows. Chrome is supported on the Mac, apparently, but since 2003 was the last year that FrameMaker supported Mac OS, it's unlikely that I am downloading to a non-Windows Mac PC.

Anyway, I got it all done and running.

Cheers,

Sean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 04, 2018 Feb 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

when I tried it in Chrome, I get this window:

Downloader-Chrome-2018-02-04-Direct-Download.jpg

From there I can directly download the following two files and run the installer once they are downloaded:

Framemaker_14_LREFDJ.7z

Framemaker_14_LREFDJ.exe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 05, 2018 Feb 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A couple of things. 1) It doesn't support your browser. Come on, support Chrome in windows.

2) Let us know about browser support beforehand, rather than letting us fail and get this error. If I know beforehand Chrome is unsupported, I can choose to use Firefox, instead.

3) After you download those files, you have an exe and a compressed file. As a user, you don't know if you should extract all the compressed files before you use the exe, extract all the compressed files and then run some bat or exe file in the resulting file set, or run the exe without uncompressing the compressed file ....

Like I said, I figured it out. But, let's start by supporting Chrome, eh?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 06, 2018 Feb 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hang on there Sean - what's not supported is the Akamai Download Manager - that's not Adobe...

And the help links tell you what to run - Start the installer after downloading Adobe Acrobat X and Adobe Creative Suite CS5.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines