• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can a book skip a file for page numbering?

Explorer ,
Jan 20, 2020 Jan 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to be have the page numbering skip a file in a book, for example, so that the page numbering in file 3 continues from the last page in file 1. I know that sounds odd, but I can't rearrange the files because I need the paragraph numbering to be continuous through all three files in that order.

Can this be done?

TOPICS
Formatting and numbering

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Jan 20, 2020 Jan 20, 2020

Kate,

I think you can get what you want with two books: one to use for setting page numbers and the other to actually publish:

1. Put all files except chapter 2 in the first book and set the page numbers to Continue from Previous Page in Book.

2. Put all files including chapter 2 in the second book and set the page numbers to Read from File and the paragraph nunbers to Continue Numbering.

When you want to update, update the first book first which will set the page numbers. Then update th

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is File2 present or not?

You can almost certainly do what you want, but the how-to needs some clarification of context.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming that file2 in is the book list, then I would manually set file3 to pick up numbering where file1 leaves off. For example, if file1 ends on page 28, right click file3 > Numbering > Page and set First Page to 29. 

Let file4–infinity Continue Numbering from Previous Page in Book. You will need to manually check (and update) this number after updates. 

Screen Shot 2020-01-20 at 2.49.17 PM.png

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Barb,

This workaround will do for my current document, but I had hoped for a more automated solution, which it seems @Lynne has provided below.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kate,

I think you can get what you want with two books: one to use for setting page numbers and the other to actually publish:

1. Put all files except chapter 2 in the first book and set the page numbers to Continue from Previous Page in Book.

2. Put all files including chapter 2 in the second book and set the page numbers to Read from File and the paragraph nunbers to Continue Numbering.

When you want to update, update the first book first which will set the page numbers. Then update the second book which will update everything else but leave page numbers alone.

--Lynne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Lynne!

This works for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines