• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can book files imported from FM12 to FM 2017 be downgrade saved back to FM12 after edits are completed?

Explorer ,
Jan 12, 2018 Jan 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I received an FM12 book and source files from co-workers overseas (who may be using a Japanese version of FM12 that's different from my US version). The auto-numbering feature in FM12 is unstable (as confirmed by Adobe Technical Support), If I import the files into FM2017, can they be downgrade saved back to FM12 after editing? Thank You in advance for your assistance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 12, 2018 Jan 12, 2018

Glad we could get you straightened out!

For clarification, the figure titles were buried in a text frame inside of an anchored frame.

Updating the book refreshed the numbers correctly, but as we discussed, putting the figure titles out in the flow (not buried inside anchored frames) would be the better way to go.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but be aware that any features that you use that are FM2017-only probably won't survive being saved as FM12.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To clarify the situation:

The FM12 book and source files I received from co-workers overseas have the Figure paragraph tags are formatted as
F:Figure <$chapnum>-<n+>

yet all Figure numbers in Chapter 1 display as Figure 1-1, all figure numbers in Chapter 7 appear as Figure 7-1, etc.. If I import the files into FM2017, I have FM11, FM12, FM15 and FM2017 installed on my workstation, but Save as only lists Document 2017 (*.fm) and Document 2015 (*.fm). Is there a way to downgrade-save the FM2017 files as FM12 files from within FM2017, or do I need to repeat the downgrade save using FM2015?  Thank You.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If FM12 isn't offered as a save as option (I forget which ones are), use MIF - that will always work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Randall, it sounds like there's a sneaky tag with an autonumbering reset.

LMK if you want me to take a peek at your Fm doc to fix the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, so the question is not REALLY about saving as different versions at all ;>)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff, I'd tried to edit my original question with the details, but the Forum prohibited me from editing the original content - perhaps because you'd already replied as I was editing. I subsequently tried downgrade saving the FM12 files to FM11, but it didn't resolve the issue. From my last discussion w/ Adobe Tech Support almost 3 years ago, they advised that there's no workaround to resolve Auto-numbering instability in FM12.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW, I also tried importing the FM12 files to FM2017, but Figure Auto-numbering is still corrupted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect it's not corrupted - take Matt up on his offer to have a look-see

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A HUGE thank you to Matt Sullivan for identifying a simple correction to our Figure layouts (which were created in an unusual way) that will help avoid the Auto-numbering issue in future manuals, and a quick fix (updating the book file) to resolve the Auto-numbering issue in our files. ID10T errors aside, has there EVER been a FrameMaker issue you couldn't resolve?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad we could get you straightened out!

For clarification, the figure titles were buried in a text frame inside of an anchored frame.

Updating the book refreshed the numbers correctly, but as we discussed, putting the figure titles out in the flow (not buried inside anchored frames) would be the better way to go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines