Highlighted

Can I create an Index and TOC in a different folder than the book file?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to have the TOC and Index to be in a sub-folder below the folder that contains the book file. I have tried creating a book in the same sub-folder, then using Save Book As.. to save it to the correct folder, but this also changes the path of the Index and the TOC to that folder. You cannot do a Save As on either of the generated files. Is there a way to put them in different folders?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Can I create an Index and TOC in a different folder than the book file?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to have the TOC and Index to be in a sub-folder below the folder that contains the book file. I have tried creating a book in the same sub-folder, then using Save Book As.. to save it to the correct folder, but this also changes the path of the Index and the TOC to that folder. You cannot do a Save As on either of the generated files. Is there a way to put them in different folders?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 22, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why do they need to be in a folder?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 22, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Jul 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The company I'm contracting with has set up their folder structure that way. The writer that created it is no longer there, but I am told I need to follow that structure.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 22, 2019 0
Jul 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

You could save the book file as MIF and then open the MIF file in a text editor like Notepad++.

Then search for the file name of your index and change the path.

Best regards

Winfried

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 22, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Jul 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have Notepad++ but I tried editing the path in Notepad and saving it, but now FrameMaker doesn't recognize it as an MIF file. I cannot download and install files on my company laptop, so couldn't get Notepad++

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 22, 2019 0
Jul 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I do not know what Notepad does. Did you still save in text format?

Maybe you can use the Windows editor.

When I tried this with Notepad++, I changed the path to this:

<FileName `<c\>temp<c\>UntitledBook2IX.fm'>

When I opened this modified MIF file, FrameMaker showed temp as folder name for the index file.

So this works.

Best regards

Winfried

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 22, 2019 0